Rummy nosed tetra help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got 5 rummy-noses tetras today. I'm hoping this is just color developing, which would be a good thing. Does anyone know what this is on his head? I'm sorry for the picture quality. They are hanging out at the back of the aquarium. It's a 55 gallon. I've never had Rummies before so I just want to know what you guys think. I hope he isnt sick!

View attachment 85988

See the greenish yellow spot right on top of his head?

View attachment 85990

I found this pic online... Same thing maybe??

BHead707 said:
possibly give it a day or two and see if it colors up some more

Ok. I'm turning off the light for tonight. I'll check them before I go to bed and especially tomorrow!

Yah here is a picture of some of my false rummy's you can see the little green spot on their heads :)

img_1877204_0_7feb090a5c029293e53d9aded331f042.jpg

Color pattern. There are 3 species. The picture you posted that you found online looks like Hemigrammus rhodostomus you can tell because the red doesn't go past it's gills.

Nothing is better or worse it's just the color patterns and rarity as far as I know.

The Three Species of Rummy-Nose Tetras

So actually the common name for the ones I own would be "common rummys" "brilliant rummys" or Hemigrammus bleheri which is probably what you have also if you got them from a LFS.

Alkane said:
So actually the common name for the ones I own would be "common rummys" "brilliant rummys" or Hemigrammus bleheri which is probably what you have also if you got them from a LFS.

I will let their color develop more and compare them to the chart in that one link.

I'm thinking they are the true rummy nose because I can see the spot on the cheek on at least one of mine (the picture of mine I posted in the beginning).I'm going to turn the light on and have another look!

Here is a clearer picture. Showing the bands on the caudal fin

img_1877692_0_4f13fe3d22bf08d08dfc275c857c280d.jpg

Here's a better pic of one of mine. It's either true or common. They haven't eaten any food since I brought them home. Hopefully they will eat tonight when I feed them again. They are still pretty much hiding among the rocks and such. I think their color needs to develop more.

Bearchumjs said:
Here's a better pic of one of mine. It's either true or common. They haven't eaten any food since I brought them home. Hopefully they will eat tonight when I feed them again. They are still pretty much hiding among the rocks and such. I think their color needs to develop more.

It may take a couple of weeks for them to feel secure enough to come out of hiding. Your first indication will be their heads getting brighter in red.

jcolon said:
It may take a couple of weeks for them to feel secure enough to come out of hiding. Your first indication will be their heads getting brighter in red.

Ok thank you. I noticed today that as soon as I turned the lights off they all swam up to the top left corner. I came home and turned the light on and the slowly made their way back down by the rocks. Silly things. :)

Well, they all have names now even though I can't tell them apart. My kids named them. Here we go:

Rummy
Redneck
Apple
Deputy
Butters

:)

Bearchumjs said:
Ok thank you. I noticed today that as soon as I turned the lights off they all swam up to the top left corner. I came home and turned the light on and the slowly made their way back down by the rocks. Silly things. :)

No problem .... BTW .... Rummynoses are notoriously sensitive and known to just die off within the first couple of weeks. Out of dozen that i've purchased, only 3 are alive, but doing great in my 75. After that, they become remarkably hardy. Hope you're make it ... I'm looking to add a few more when I upgrade my son's 10 to a 20long.

jcolon said:
No problem .... BTW .... Rummynoses are notoriously sensitive and known to just die off within the first couple of weeks. Out of dozen that i've purchased, only 3 are alive, but doing great in my 75. After that, they become remarkably hardy. Hope you're make it ... I'm looking to add a few more when I upgrade my son's 10 to a 20long.

I've been told that all tetras are pretty sensitive, neons being the most sensitive. I'm monitoring my tank well. Those little boogers are swimming back and forth along the back wall of the aquarium. It's fun watching them school!

Back
Top Bottom