Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Siamese algae eater with curved spine

Iím not sure if this has been developing for a while but I just noticed that my sae has a slight curve to his spine. It doesnít look s shaped or abrupt just a slight hunching when he used to be straight as an arrow.

This is in my 29 gallon planted with only about a dozen other tetras and a couple Otos. (I know all these could use more members in their schools but Iíll be moving soon and donít want to add fish before a move).

Checked water parameters the other day after a water change and ammonia and nitrite were 0 and nitrate kinda hard to tell but no more than 5 or so. (Itís rare that my tank gets over 5 nitrate between the light stocking and the plants.)

Anyway the tank has been lightly stocked for a while, while I have lost a few tetras here and there over the years the tank has been healthy and stable for years with no deaths or signs of illness in at least six months to a year.

Google of course offered me scare stories about fish tb but that seems unlikely due to the lack of any other symptoms in the sae or any other fish. Could there be something else going on? Iíve slacked off on feeding algae wafers lately because the Otos And sae seemed to be doing fine between the algae in the tank and the occasional fish food the sae snacks on, perhaps a nutrient deficiency?

Old 02-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you using dechlorinated tap water, RO/distilled, spring water?

Old 02-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tap dechlorinated with prime.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Typically, tap water has enough nutrients for fish with daily feedings. If you are doing that then I'd rule out nutrient deficiency. If you feel you need to feed your sae a daily algea wafer then try that. It's not going to hurt him any and if it can help increase his health...why not?
Old 02-27-2018, 11:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I usually feed every other day and in small amounts, but I figure if I was accidentally starving my fish they probably wouldnít have lasted this long. But the tetras do chase after the flakes a lot more eagerly than the sae so maybe if Iím feeding them just barely enough the sae isnít getting enough?

Or maybe itís something else entirely.

I dunno. Just thought I would ask in case anyone had a theory. Iíll keep an eye on him, but heís acting totally normal and eating well and all that jazz so *shrug*

Just in case Iíll add algae wafers back into my feeding schedule. I know that Iím not overfeeding, so it canít hurt .
Old 02-28-2018, 12:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your tank has enough algae for him to feed well then I wouldn't supplement his diet to much.....he might slow down on eating your algae? If your tank has minimal algae then I think a half a wafer every other day just to make sure.

The curved spine could be Tuberculosis?? That would be worse case scenario.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

The tank doesn’t visibly have a ton of algae but my Otos stay chubby so what is growing they must be eating. (And I haven’t had a bba outbreak since I got the sae, thank goodness!). Usually I use my java moss as an indicator. He doesn’t usually go for moss but when algae levels get too low he will nibble on the moss and that’s when I know he needs something extra.

I have read about Tb and will keep an eye on him for other symptoms, but as I mentioned with no other sickness in the tank and no other symptoms in the sae it doesn’t seem like the reports of tb that I’ve read. (And since most of the advice for infected tanks is bleach the tank and start over I don’t exactly want to jump to that conclusion without a preponderance of evidence!)
Old 03-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lightbulb

Managed to get a picture of this guy. Between the plants and his tendency to be buried in leaves or darting around all the time it’s not a great picture, but maybe someone will be able to tell me if I should be more worried!

Click image for larger version

Name:	F57C0FE8-54C8-488C-96F9-21C651B85E1E.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	307503

Sometimes it looks even more pronounced because of the way he swims etc. Lately he tends to swim with his head far higher than his tail and I don’t remember him doing that when he was younger. (He’s about 3 years old at this point maybe more depending on how old he was when I bought him.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E7BA3CAC-84F3-4ADB-81AD-593DD101CAAF.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	307504   Click image for larger version

Name:	B77E95DF-9888-4F8E-BB1E-74534088F044.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	307505  

Old 03-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Many disease will present curved spine.
In most by the time it shows the fish is too far gone to be saved usually.
The exception is in the case of nutritional deficiency.
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yup, I do know that. I’m just kind of unsure what to do now because there are zero other symptoms in that fish or any others in the tank.

I’m increasing feeding of various algae wafers in case of nutritional deficiency and upping water changes just because I can’t really think of what else to do and those things won’t hurt.

Tags
algae, algae eater, ate, eat, eater, siamese

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com