Sick Bettas - ich and complications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dagluk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Obviously my first post here - I need some big time help from someone that knows a lot more than I do! I'll just go ahead and fill out the template provided in the sticky. Thank you if you stick through this whole saga!!

1~What type of fish is afflicted?
Betta fish. I believe they have ich (started two days ago with a few grains of salt looking dots, to yesterday completely covered).

2~What are your tank parameters
(ammonia - 0, nitrites - 0, nitrates - 10, temp - currently at 84F, pH - 6.2)?

3 ~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
36 gallon, been set up for over a month.

4~What type of filtration are you using?
Big double sponge filter with an air pump rated for up to 55 gallons.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
2 female bettas. Both affected. One is a small blue thing, the other is a larger elephant ear variety.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
Last did a water change 3 days ago after returning from vacation. I had a neighbor feeding fish and they must have overfed, because I did find some ammonia on test and I had a dead whiptail catfish in the tank. Removed when I found it and did a 25-30% water change. I worry this may have been hasty and the waters were not the same temperature as the tank. I use RO water for changes and top ups. The tank is heavily planted so I do not vacuum. Since this is a brand new tank, I've only changed water once before, before adding the fish.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
So tank has been running empty over a month. Two weeks ago added a whiptail catfish and a mystery snail to see how they did. Everything looked great. One week later added the two female betta fish. They looked great up until the day after the water change.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Aqueon betta pellets. Nothing new there.

SO after all of that, my problem is the ich. It started after I did a hasty water change after an ammonia spike after I had been on vacation and a friend was feeding the fish. The water temperature was closeish to what was in the tank but I didn't measure. Changed out 25-30%. The next morning, the remaining fish seemed lethargic and I noticed white dots on them. I went out an bought Kordon Rapid Cure and added it per label instructions, upped temp from 78F to 82-84F. The next day, the ich seemed more profound on the fish but they seemed perkier, treated again. The larger elephant ear was really perky and bullying the small betta, so I moved the little one into a breeder/isolation net.

This morning, both of them looked decent. The little one in the net was really energetic and eating well. The elephant ear looked a bit dumpy and was hanging around on top of the heater, which she had never done before. Today after work, the little betta looks great and the elephant ear looks like she's about to go belly up. Her fins look rough, she's sadly floating at the top of the tank, looks like she's having a hard time oxygenating.

Is there anything I can do to help her? Would a water change be warranted? I was planning to do at least one more day of the medication, should I continue? Any words of wisdom welcomed!

WELL SHOOT - looks like she kicked the bucket. That was a really fast decline! From eating and chipper yesterday, to toast this evening. Maybe I misdiagnosed? But why would one fish get better and the other die?
Ugh.

Question now is - how to make this tank safe for new additions?

So a suggestion. Never have someone feed while you are away. It seriously is better to not feed. Your fish can last over a month with out food, well that depends on the Heath of the fish. They can go up to 8 days no food as adults. I power feed a few days before I know I'm leaving for some time. I do a 50% water change the night before I leave. Your fish will be hungry, but they will be okay. You could get other lil creatures to put in your tank for your fish to have a secondary food source. I have mystery snails. They leave food behind that my fry and other small fish can pick at. I also let lil white works grow in my tanks, my betta's hunt them. They natural occur in stand still waters. As far as oxgen. Lower her water level so she doesn't have to work as hard to get air. And the best for ich is krondon rapid cure. Works every time, even knocks out velvet.

Your elephant ear is such a super sensitive fish. They can't take alot of medicines. I wouldn't be surprised if it passes on you

Your elephant ear is such a super sensitive fish. They can't take alot of medicines. I wouldn't be surprised if it passes on you

Thanks for your advice! I'll have to remember that next time I'm away.

She did pass pretty quickly after I posted, bummer. I ended up doing 48 hours of the medication like it said on the bottle, then have kept the tank at 86F for two weeks and some 30-50% water changes through the two weeks. The remaining fish looks great, she's very hardy!

Back
Top Bottom