Sick clown loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigblue08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my 3 clown loaches has been swimming at the top of the tank and I dont think has really beem eating for about 5 days now does any one know what could cause this...... heres a few pics of it

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1395951877778.jpg
    1395951877778.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 1395951901355.jpg
    1395951901355.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 78
No ideas any one ??????? Hes now hanging out on thr bottom by himself

O and I find his eyes are kinda glossing over...... any one have any ideas what I can do

Cloudy eye could be nitrate related, what are the conditions of your tank? How big is it? How often do you change water? How much do you change? How often?

How many and what type of fish? How long have you had the system?

What are your parameters
Do you even test the tank?
How big is the loach?
How big is the tank?
Is there enough oxygen in the tank, like do you run air stones?
What type of filter do you have?
Sometimes if bottom dwellers go to the top, it's a sign of low oxygen in the water

Its a 90g tank I havent tested the water in a while ...... have a hob filter for a 90 ....... I clean the tank once a week i take out about 5 gallons and add about 10-15 gallons depends on how much evpartes that week . 3 balla sharks 3 clown loaches 5 neons 5 rasboras a hamd full of other small fish a pleco and 2 raphael cat fish. All the other fish look healthy and are acting normal. I feed them omaga one super colour flakes and blood worms once and awhile 2-3 times a day. Ive been running the 90 for 5 months I think give or take and there about 2 and half inches give or take

Its a 90g tank I havent tested the water in a while ...... have a hob filter for a 90 ....... I clean the tank once a week i take out about 5 gallons and add about 10-15 gallons depends on how much evpartes that week . 3 balla sharks 3 clown loaches 5 neons 5 rasboras a hamd full of other small fish a pleco and 2 raphael cat fish. All the other fish look healthy and are acting normal. I feed them omaga one super colour flakes and blood worms once and awhile 2-3 times a day. Ive been running the 90 for 5 months I think give or take and there about 2 and half inches give or take

Ok, you are going to have a lot of problems with the tank
1. Bala sharks need at least a 220 gallon
2. When bala sharks mature, they will kill everything in the tank
2. The clown loaches will need at least a 180 gallon
3. Depending on what type of pleco you have, you can have problems
Ok then it is not oxygen related, unless, does your HOB make a lot of surface agitation, like do you see bubbles where the hob water hits the tank water?

Clowns like clean water, double your volume per change and try changes twice a week. The tank is not ready for clowns, you have a lot of work to do, really the system should be stable for 6 months to a year.

Ideally you want five or more clowns with plenty of hiding places, the tank should be set up around the clown first and foremost with suited species fitting into their environment.

By my experience the more the merrier providing the system can take it, in 8-10 years they will be BIG FISH! They should live for up to 30 years. Figures around 20-25 are common ages for these fish if they are treated properly.

Air stones?

No I dont have any air stones in there. And theres lots of bubbles from the hob filter

As a guide, I change 300-400 litres per week out of 750 (max fill) litres split into 2-3 changes, this just about keeps things under control
(11 clowns and a Bristlenose)
(2x FX5 @4400litres per hour max total)
(Air stone in operation)
(PH 6.8, soft @26'C)

Bigger fish create more nitrogenous waste so more work is required by you to handle it.

Also larger biomass = more oxygen consumption, a similar thing with temperature! warmer water carries less dissolved oxygen (clown loach should be in warmer water and consequently there should be much more oxygen input. These fish do not tolerate poor conditions very well.

The total flow of your system should be 5-10 times turnover per hour, you can use additional power heads or extra canisters.

Hanging at the top is a dead give away for O2 deficit (99% of the time)
Clouded eye usually points towards nitrogenous waste levels too great.

You want 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and less than 50 mg/l nitrate, ideally 0 nitrate. Protracted periods outside of these levels will most certainly see your clowns out of shape.

Make sure you feed them blood worms as a regular dietary requirement, this prevents skinny disease.

The silver sharks will have a similar large bio load which should be taken into account, weakest fish die first, while clowns are tough they are not hardy.

How bigs you tank? ? And I under stand about clean water I just find it weird that the other to are really good looking and theres one thats having issuse . What do u feed besides blood worms

How bigs you tank? ? And I under stand about clean water I just find it weird that the other to are really good looking and theres one thats having issuse . What do u feed besides blood worms

Spirulina flake, catfish pellets, algae wafers, omnivore sinking pellets (tetra or similar, they are kind of red things like crumbs) tropical flake but rarely and frozen black/white mosquito larvae, daphnia.

They have bloodworms every day with some alternate food mixed in.

They really enjoy spirulina and catfish pellets (JMC is the brand I use, orange lid)

Follow the links in my sig, this will give you my systems. (It will be easier for you to look)

Back
Top Bottom