Sick Fish OR Old Age?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snype2live

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay this maybe the first thread I've posted that was not only for my selfish needs. Well I think a lot of young hobbyist would like to know the cause or fault of their fish's death.

For example I have had my Endler's Livebearers for about a year now (got them Febuary 2, 2012). I originally had 12, well over the year 8 have passed and went to fish heaven. Well the thought that has bugged me for a while, is what killed them?? Well I know at least 6 of them committed fish suicide ( they would swim up the python I was using or into my little gravel vac when I was not looking and another one bit the dust), but 2 of them here recently have just died. One I did not find for a week (as I was out of town), the other was fine yesterday: eating, swimming, and playing, when he was awake. He had gotten a little lazy and would hide in the fake plants for most of the day and sleep. He would come out for about and hour at a time to play with his buddy's (the Neon Tetra's and Other 4 Endlers). Well this morning while doing a water change, he floated up out from his little plant ...dead. Well I gave him a look over (after fishing him out), to see if any damage had been done or any signs of disease or illness. Nothing was wrong no ripped fin's, no bulging eyes, no white spots, no pink or purple around gills, nothing. Well I got my receipt out to see when I had bought them and it was Febuary 2, 2012. I can only guess that they was atleast a few months old when I bought them. So that would put him in his 15-18 month life span. I checked water parameters just to be sure nothing was wrong there. Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 40ppm ( I know this is high, but remember I was in middle of doing water change), Ph 8.0. Well there water parameters where great. Same it has been since last day of cycling, besides nitrates of coarse. So only thing I can figure was it was old age that got him.

Another instance where I wondered was when I bought more of my Neon's (this is actually 2 instances). First time my stocking list was 6 Peppered Corys, 8 Neon's, 10 Endlers in a 29 gallon marine-land. Well I wanted a full shoal of Neon's (meaning 10 cause I am ocd about certain things). So I went to pets mart and bought 2 more ( don't give me grief bout pet-smart its only lfs store for like 50 miles around my parts). Well I got them home acclimated them for 2 hours same as I always do. Bucket , drip line, airstone and then I added them cut the lights off for the night. Woke up in the morning to check on them and they where still alive, but 2 other neon's (my older slower ones) had had there fins ripped off, and they was dead. So I went through normal procedure: checked fish, checked water parameters, and discarded. Well everything check out same as always 0ppm besides Nitrates and 8.0ph. So only thing I could figure this time was it was the 2 new Neon's was excited trying to play and killed the 2 older bigger ones. Well about 6 month's after that I bought 5 more Neon's to make stocking list 6 peppered corys, 13 Neon's, 5 endlers (as this was after all of them decided to commit suicide and the one died of unknown causes and before the one died of old age), and one bristle nose pleco. Well I acclimated them, added them, turned lights of for the night and woke up in the morning. I went to check them and all 13 Neon's was there, 5 endlers and Bristlenose pleco was there and fine. Well I had to wake my corys up with some food and coax them out and they all come out but one had his fins really messed up and was acting funny. So I put him in quarintine and decided to put him down. I figure maybe neon's will become aggressive or really curious and playfull in a new tank with new tank mates and maybe harm them but not on purpose.

Well that's my cases as to date. Feel free to comment and help me with mine, and also feel free to comment and try and get help on yours.

Could have been sick or old age. Hard to really say. I've had unanswered deaths. It happens. Fish die.

Your nitrAtes aren't that bad at 40ppm.

lol yea i know they just die i just been trying to figure it out and figured id open thread where people could get an idea maybe some closure instead of just "they died" "Why?"

lol yea i know they just die i just been trying to figure it out and figured id open thread where people could get an idea maybe some closure instead of just "they died" "Why?"

I understand, I use to want to know or try to find out after a while I just accept it. If I don't see any signs of anything I say "it was his time" or.. Hers.

Neons are not healthy fish. Originally had 9 over the course of a couple months all but three died. Those three were healthy and doing well, decided to purchase three more do they would have a school within two days whatever they brought with them killed all three new ones two of the ones I already had and 1 of my emperors. Lesson learned. I still have 1 and I am sure he is lonely but there's no way in hell I will purchase another neon

hmm funny ive only had 2 neons die and i have had a shoal of 15 lol and yea im that way now convict but maybe this will help other new people kinda deal with it

I have platies who were at the end of there lives who kinda died that way. They were around 2 years old.

Back
Top Bottom