Sick golden tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
K, there are a lot of unknowns here so bear with me.

I have a school of five golden tetra in my 10 gallon tank (plus three neon tetra and three female Betta who all get along - is that too many fish?)

I was under the impression that odd numbers of tetra and at least five was a good idea. So recently I added a golden tetra because I had four. I have heard contradictory opinions of whether various types of tetra school together. Anyone else want to chime in on whether neons and goldens etc school together or separately? In my tank I would say the latter.

Finally to the real question. One of the golden tetra is twitching, pointing it's nose upward and listing a bit to the side. It still schools with the others and eats well but it definitely has something going on. I have a carbon filter so I am wondering if I should scoop out the sick one for treatment. I have no way of knowing if the sick one is the newer one (purchased more than a month ago at least) but considering that the three long finned zebras I purchased for another tank from the same place all died within the week... Well...

Ideas what he has and how to treat it?

it could be a mating thing, to attract females. or shivers, because the tank is too cold.
1) is it more bloated or pale than the others?
2) does it chase the others but not nip?
3) how often does it do this?
you could treat it if it is a disease, but it really needs to be a definite disease first! haha :)

In my personal opinion i would say thats too many fish for a 10gal tank. I guess if you have good oygen and do plenty of water changes/vac it would be alright. Now as for my tetras they do tend to twitch sometimes. I haven't noticed it affecting any of mine.

That's definitely too many fish for a 10 gallon, plus you don't have complete schools

No harshness perceived!

So, what would be "complete schools" for each tetra group?

Clarification: the twitching isn't the problem because, yes, they all do it. It's the listing to starboard and pointing upwards when all his buddies are horizontal that concerns me. I have other tanks and I can move him out to medicate as well as reduce any fish disease transmission.

Ultimately, should I move all the tetras out an just leave the three Betta females? It has lots of live plants and a good sturdy filter (a hand me down from a neighbor who is an educated fish guy) but I don't know the brand.

To sum up:
How many fish in the tank?
How many tetras in a school?
Move Mr. Pointy out and give him...?

Can you post a picture of the tetra? Complete schools would be 5 at least

I took a great video but can't seem to post?

Attachments

• image-2981248573.jpg
    image-2981248573.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image-1775450693.jpg
    image-1775450693.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 80
  • image-578815850.jpg
    image-578815850.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom