Sick Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ammonia result I got this morning was 0.25 and yes there is a lot of shaking the nitrate bottle! I followed the instructions using a timer to make sure I shook it long enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

100% agree how often were you doing water changes?

This persons tank is most likely smaller then yours and has fish with larger bioloads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, the OP's is 13 gallons while mine was 36. I still think 2 weeks isn't anywhere near long enough for a fish in cycle to complete. The waiting is excruciating! ?

Water changes for fishless was none. Until the day before I added fish to reduce nitrates. Water changes during fish in cycle was more like 165879045769! lol Seriously, daily at some phases. Every other day at other phases. I would say more daily than not. To keep the ammonia and nitrites down I had to. Everyday I felt like I was having a panic attack. Fishless was a breeze. I just added everything and pure ammonia and walked away. Except for testing I didn't even think about it. With fish in cycling, some fish took it better than others. I think each fish, even the same kinds, have different immune systems and therefore handle cycling differently. That may be what's happening with the platy. It's just not handling the poor water quality and water changes well.

True, the OP's is 13 gallons while mine was 36. I still think 2 weeks isn't anywhere near long enough for a fish in cycle to complete. The waiting is excruciating! [emoji2]

Water changes for fishless was none. Until the day before I added fish to reduce nitrates. Water changes during fish in cycle was more like 165879045769! lol Seriously, daily at some phases. Every other day at other phases. I would say more daily than not. To keep the ammonia and nitrites down I had to. Everyday I felt like I was having a panic attack. Fishless was a breeze. I just added everything and pure ammonia and walked away. Except for testing I didn't even think about it. With fish in cycling, some fish took it better than others. I think each fish, even the same kinds, have different immune systems and therefore handle cycling differently. That may be what's happening with the platy. It's just not handling the poor water quality and water changes well.

I misread your first post I thought you had fishes in the entire cycle.

OP I would recommend 2: 3-4 gallon water changes a day. Or however many it takes to keep that ammonia down. And only the first bottle

OP I would recommend 2: 3-4 gallon water changes a day. Or however many it takes to keep that ammonia down. And only the first bottle

I did the first time I did it. I've done it completely both ways.

OP- I agree with fishdude. More water changes to keep the ammonia down. It's a process to cycle with fish but it can be done. Your sick little one may just not be handling ammonia well or it could be that his immune system was compromised by the water quality. You just need to watch him to make sure he doesn't get worse and do daily water changes. I would also recommend using Prime as your water conditioner. Especially with fish in there. I hope your little guy will be ok! Keep us posted! ?

Alrighty, I will only use the first bottle and start doing larger water changes. I'm really frustrated now with the fish store where I got my tank and conditioners from. I had originally planned on doing a fishless cycle and while I waited for it to cycle I would plant the tank gradually with live plants. However, once I got there I spoke with someone who convinced me that it was easier and better to do fish in cycling with fake plants to start until my tank was established and only after it was established could I add live plants. I have since done much more reading and regret letting them change my mind but what's done is done. I have added some plants since doing my reading and plan on adding more until I switch out all the fake ones but it's a slow process.

Alrighty, I will only use the first bottle and start doing larger water changes. I'm really frustrated now with the fish store where I got my tank and conditioners from. I had originally planned on doing a fishless cycle and while I waited for it to cycle I would plant the tank gradually with live plants. However, once I got there I spoke with someone who convinced me that it was easier and better to do fish in cycling with fake plants to start until my tank was established and only after it was established could I add live plants. I have since done much more reading and regret letting them change my mind but what's done is done. I have added some plants since doing my reading and plan on adding more until I switch out all the fake ones but it's a slow process.

Sounds like that guy wanted a quick sale.
Keep us posted

The sad thing is that it didn't seem that way at the time the sales person (actually a girl lol) helped pick out all the things needed for the tank, and "told" me a lot of things that were in keeping with the information that I had researched online. Oh well it's just a matter of moving forwards now. I did a 4 g water change with just the first bottle and aquarium salt (not sure how necessary the aquarium salt is) about an hour ago and already I see the male Platy swimming around more and he has his top fin spread out which he hasn't done for at least 4 days! Hopefully things keep getting better for him!

Back
Top Bottom