Sideways Swimming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The sea monkeys Rock

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I have a small nano tank with 2 galaxy rasbora (Celestrial Pearl Danio), two ember tetra and and lampeye.

I have bought a larger 100 litre tank to put them in but still waiting for it to cycle.

I did a water change 15% aprox yesterday and since then the embers and galaxy rasbora have started looking very unhappy swimming on their side and from time to time shooting from one side of the tank to the other. The Lamp eyes are fine.

The water change increased the temperature by 2.5 degrees Celsius in one go. The temp had dropped overnight due to cold room temperature. The 2.5C increase may have destabilised them?

Conditions:

NH4 = 0
NH3 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 50 (tap water is around 20)
PH = 7.4 (no changes great >0.2 over past few weeks)
Temp = 24C

I have just doesed the tank 0.2% aquarium salt (2tsp) to help support the osmoregulation process. The LFS expert advised this can help. After adding that they seem almost instantly happier. Actually as I am typing this, they have stopped swimming on their sides (rasbora and ember).

Please could someone advise what this could have been? Worried that it wil happen again.

Many Thanks in Advance :fish2:

Lets just hope that was there way of showing they were not happy. I have seem many times fish do this wheb theres a change and they dont like it

Lets just hope that was there way of showing they were not happy. I have seem many times fish do this wheb theres a change and they dont like it

They seem fine again now. I am now to keeping fish. My tank is minute. When I was doing the fishless cycle and did a 100% W/C it only amounted to 7 litres of water, despite the tank advertising as 12L.

I have learnt the hard way that having a small tank makes it a really challenge to regulate water quality.

Soon as my 100L beast is cycled they will be gently released into their new home. I was going to use RO. Well put them in tap, as they are used to that, then W/C using RO. Say 25% W/C once every 1 - 2 weeks. Does that sound feasible?

is there something wrong with your tap? do you have well water or something. i been using tap with no issue so far.

Back
Top Bottom