Something is Wiping out my stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aces11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
About 2 weeks ago I added three harlequin rasboras (from petco) to make my stock a total of 7 harlequins, 2 endlers, 1 female betta, and a bristlenose pleco. Since I added the new fish I've lost 2/3 new rasboras and 2/4 of my old ones and my pleco. Currently all 3 of my remaining rasboras have these white fungus looking spots on their fins and bodies. My betta also has a cottony mouth. I'm afraid I'm going to lose all of my fish except my endlers since they are perfectly fine as of now.
These are the best pics I could get:

Attachments

• 1394808362428.jpg
    1394808362428.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 1394808374856.jpg
    1394808374856.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 1394808416856.jpg
    1394808416856.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 67
I dont have a test kit but everything was perfectly fine before I added the new harlequins and I performed a 50% wc after I began losing fish last weekend

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its a 20g high and I change about 50% every week or every other week

And I have 2 AC30s on the tank so it is a very low bio load

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my betta died :( my remaining 3 rasboras still have fungus looking spots on them as well. Does anyone know what this is or how I can treat it?

It could be colmnaris. Fungus-like tuffs on the mouth & before the dorsal fin (like the first pic) are common. It is also a rapid killer.

Best to treat it with a gram negative antibiotic like Furan-2 or Maracyn 2. This may affect your biological filter, so keep an eye on your parameters if you choose to treat.

I'm not an expert. No one else seemed to respond, so I figured I'd throw my opinion out there. Fish diseases can be a pain to diagnose.

Well, since you have multiple spots with the fungus-y looking stuff, it is a bit hard to say. Fungus tends to infect the body of fish and can be treated with an antifungal treatment, while columnaris is a bacterial infection and needs bacterial treatment. I am posting a link for you to look at to see if it helps you determine what you are dealing with.
Aquarium Fish Fungus
You might have multiple issues going on at once as well.

Back
Top Bottom