Sporadic, seizure-like movements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kholton

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a german blue ram that has been an inhabitant of my tank for several months now, and for the past week or so has been showing signs of illness. I have done daily 25-50% water changes to see if there would be any improvement in her condition. Unfortunately, it has only worsened, and went from simply being a general listfulness to movements that appear very much like seizures, mixed with sporadic, very quick movements. I know the problem is not caused from ammonia (as I had found online) because of my frequent water changes, and I've been treating the water with Stress Coat to help remove chlorine and chloramines. Is there ANYTHING else it could be? Is it possible that my fish simply has a disorder that cannot be cured? If anyone has any advice or opinions please let me know.

Thank you very much.

~Kaden

p.s. the pH is about 6.3, and unfortunately the water is very hard, but I am picking up some Discuss Buffer that I ordered tomorrow which should help with that. Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are at negligible levels due to my water changes.

Last edited:
Any living thing with a nervous system can have seizures, but can be cause by toxins, disease, injury, and stray electrical current all are possibles. So the most common being water conditions, could you post your water parameters? Next are there any noticeable issues physically with fish, like white spots, red areas, or anything else out of the ordinary?

Back
Top Bottom