Velvet?!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingforfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Argh. I don't know if this is just the color of his scales or it's actually velvet.

I noticed that when in light, one of the swordtails (we just bought this one) has a light, kinda shiny line going horizontally across his body. We've had him for 4 days now, and he's been like this ever since. He acts fine, eats fine, etc.

The reason why I'm off balanced with this is because when I searched up images of similar colored/looking swordtails, they too have that stripe across their body that seems to shine. Like this: http://sogua.mamakcorner.com/81/swordtail-fish/
(Small picture but you can still see it)

I don't know if I'm being overly paranoid or what, but I'm freaking out. It's funny because I was just fine a split second ago.

Otherwise, there are no shiny spots elsewhere in his body.

Really crappy pics (they swim toooo fast) but here's what I got:

Attachments

• image-3226993533.jpg
    image-3226993533.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 53
  • image-3232929896.jpg
    image-3232929896.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 45
Argh. I don't know if this is just the color of his scales or it's actually velvet.

I noticed that when in light, one of the swordtails (we just bought this one) has a light, kinda shiny line going horizontally across his body. We've had him for 4 days now, and he's been like this ever since. He acts fine, eats fine, etc.

The reason why I'm off balanced with this is because when I searched up images of similar colored/looking swordtails, they too have that stripe across their body that seems to shine. Like this: http://sogua.mamakcorner.com/81/swordtail-fish/
(Small picture but you can still see it)

I don't know if I'm being overly paranoid or what, but I'm freaking out. It's funny because I was just fine a split second ago.

Otherwise, there are no shiny spots elsewhere in his body.

Really crappy pics (they swim toooo fast) but here's what I got:

Don't think it's velvet. Unless it dash/flash a alot, scratches again objects then it should be fine. Another way to find out if it has velvet is shine a torch at it when the lights is off. U will see little gold dust (or silver can't remember) like substance on it if it is velvet! :)

Don't think it's velvet. Unless it dash/flash a alot, scratches again objects then it should be fine. Another way to find out if it has velvet is shine a torch at it when the lights is off. U will see little gold dust (or silver can't remember) like substance on it if it is velvet! :)

I don't have a torch! Lol. I now don't think it's velvet, but I'm still keeping a close eye on him. I get really paranoid when it comes to fish diseases. Especially ones that involve parasites, eek!

Thanks for replying! :)

Back
Top Bottom