Weird betta tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betta boy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've had my betta for a little more then a year now. Recently I noticed something was up with his tail. I have never noticed it before, but I suppose it could have been there for a while. Ok two parts of his tail, at the end, have become webbed. Almost like a frogs foot. I do not believe it is fun rot(I've never seen anything like it). Any ideas ??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420600126.376778.jpg little blurry but see what I mean?

Oh forgot to mention his other tail is looks like it is kind of melted or something. All cringed and fused together

Hard to tell from the pic. Water changes are your friend, especially in the case of fin rot. What's your water change schedule?

Around 25 percent every week ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420604142.365572.jpg
Here I think I got a better shot

I'd bump the pwc schedule to about 50% every week for a betta. If there is nothing else in the tank a little aquarium salt may benefit, and some Indian Almond Leaves or the extract may help as well.

Believe it or not the housing conditions in the tank are 2 neon tetras and my betta. They have been together for about 3 months. Crazy part is it's only a 1.5 gallon tank. Anyways, can I still do what you recommend with my two tetras in there ?

I'm not sure about the salt and tetras but for a 1.5 gal I would def change 50% of the water a week.. Maybe in 2 changes of 25% even. that's a large bioload for a small tank. Almond leaf probably will be fine still but not sure what Ph tetras prefer as I don't keep any. IAL reduces the ph.

Tetras like low PH. IAL is fine for them. If the tail was ever damaged when it regrew the cells may changed a bit ? I've never seen a Betta tail do that that, is very odd

Back
Top Bottom