What is wrong with my rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Gbrs. Tried to mate. Ate the eggs. The female has been getting progressively darker. Today, the male keeps poking her, and she just floats sideways, pale white with black stripes. She was fine an hour ago (well, not striped and floating). I don't know what's wrong! And, why is he picking at his mate if she's sick? Finally, the male has been funny lately also. I noticed something red sticking out of him on his right side, so close to his "underneath fin" I thought it was color at first. It's not. I have seen anchor worms before. This is not forked at the end, so I'm hoping that's not it. I can't get a good pic. It almost looks like a piece of blood worm stuck to his body at one end, but it slightly circles at the end, instead of forking. Like an oblong, stretched red tear drop. It MIGHT. Be coming out of him literally (not just his skin), but it's definitely only visible on one side of his fin. What is wrong with my fish? Ammonia, nitrites-0. Nitrates 10. Gh-9, kh-6, ph-7.4. Water change 3 days ago. No other fish showing signs of stress. No new additions. Please help, I'm trying to breed this pair, and was working on a new tank for them! First attachment is the boy. You can barely see the red thing. It's where poo comes out, sort of.

Attachments

• image-2175317021.jpg
    image-2175317021.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 61
Girl. Poor baby. She went sideways for a min.

Attachments

• image-2469579048.jpg
    image-2469579048.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 54
And, this is YESTERDAY! The male did NOT have this red thing on his lower fin (right by his tail)...

Attachments

• image-3082160567.jpg
    image-3082160567.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 51
I would try to get a hold of some almond leaves. Not only due they acidify the environment but they have medicinal properties that combat fungus and bacteria. Rams are hard to diagnose when they are distressed because most of the time their illnesses are a dead end. it could be possible the male is bothering her. It's not odd for when they are not breeding for the male to be aggressive towards the female.

Okay....but won't the purigen remove anything the almond leaves put in the water? And, I understand i probably won't figure out what's wrong with HER, but the male has a red thing sticking out of him. I can't let that spread to the angels, so I kind of have to figure out what's wrong, or get rid of the fish. Finally, the male is not letting the female swim near the bottom of the tank. If she stays up top, he leaves her alone, but she keeps trying to go down, so he chases her. He also attacks the divider if the Bolivian ram goes near it, and the Bolivian won't stay away from it. I moved a plant....on the blue rams side, hoping to change territory or something....and the male is now attacking the bottom of the plant. I keep wondering if there are still wigglers hidden somewhere. Why else would this male turn on his mate? She's not fat, red bellied and white thing barely sticking out, so they're not breeding. They always swam together, slept together, etc. would he turn on her if she IS sick? I don't have another tank ready, and frankly, I'm starting to worry about my angels! I'd love to put the girl over the divider (or remove it), but not if they're sick!

Attachments

• image-362073619.jpg
    image-362073619.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 41
Back
Top Bottom