Whats wrong!!!! Black male molly puffed up, scales like pinecone...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allmychickens

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Was not like this yesterday. Woke up this orning and he looked like a puffer fish. In aa 10 gallon tank. Only him and one albino catfish. All the other fish have died or dissapeared without signs or symptoms...

Attachments

• image-1384371521.jpg
    image-1384371521.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 171
  • image-2965252548.jpg
    image-2965252548.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 131
  • image-3418839269.jpg
    image-3418839269.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 126
He is swimming around but apparently my family saw him like this yesterday. He is staying near the top but he s very active...

I know nothing about dropsy other than its deadly. I will have to add that to my list of problems to look up tonight. I've got a few. I know people have told me that dropsy can be cured if caught early enough. I just have never heard how. I'll try to find it here in a minute, when I find this one I'm on now.

I think by the time they are pine coned, it's too late to help them. Humane euthanasia is a good idea.

It's possible to try Maracyn and Maracyn II along with aquarium salt, but once they're pinconed, their chances of survival are very slim. Euthanasia is ideal.

Dropsy is the end stage of some infection in the fish.

1) Real good vacuuming of substrate, large water change. Do this a few times over a week to get out a good chunk of the bacteria.
2) Buy a UV power head system to sterilize the tank.

Back
Top Bottom