whats wrong with my shubunkin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midnightS07

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i realize these pictures are awful quality, but what do you want from a camera phone? XD

this is my shubunkin goldfish named mutt.

mutt picture by midnightS07 - Photobucket

he seems to be fine and well, but he has this red spot near his dorsal fin that looks painful. it is raised up, so its not an ulcer.. ive included pictures, hopefully you can make it out.. if not i could try for some better pictures. ive tried treating him with melafix, but so far its had no reaction, the bump actually got bigger. what is going on?

mutt3.jpg picture by midnightS07 - Photobucket

mutt2.jpg picture by midnightS07 - Photobucket

I really can *not* tell too much from the pictures.

Is that spot under the scales, or does it appears to be something stuck onto the fish.

If the latter, it might be fish lice, which can appear red/brown. Google a pic to compare.

Last edited:
its under the scales. my local petstore looked at him and said its an ulcer, but arent ulcers divots in the skin? this is a raised up red bump. i also looked up fish lice, and that doesnt look anything like what he has
so confused >.<

You are right. Ulcers are areas of missing skin (& scale). That doesn't look like an ulcer at all.

A raised red spot under the skin is probably an infection. Possibly a parasite, or a bacterial super-infection in a parasitic entry wound. Without a firm diagnosis (or additional symptoms of illness) I would not use anything stronger than a little bit of salt (maybe 0.1%) and some close observation.

Back
Top Bottom