Black Slug looking thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
heres a picture of it it came out a day ago in the light its got a mouth like a snail and seems to be eating off the LR any idea what uit is and what it does? its next to a blue leg hermit fto compaire its size. it has a hard back, but then gets fleshy thanks for the help

yup that looks like its it is it worth keeping in the tank? or should i take it out?

Strnage, now I can see the pic. That's definitely it. Good guess if I do say so myself -- LOL.

This little guy gets mixed reviews as far as being "reef-safe" - it seems that they can sometimes dine on coral tissues. If it's a FO tank, I'd let it be. If it's a reef tank, I'd probably bannish it to the sump.

JMO,

welp to the sump it goes i wouldnt want it dinning on any of my corals thanks a lot for the help

I have personally never seen an elephant snail cause damage to any coral but that does not mean it cannot happen. :) I had two of them in may tank for several years and were never a problem with corals. They can however be great algae eaters. I would actually wait on the banishment but everyone must make their own descision.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve,

I have no personal experience with them, so am (unfortunately) only quoting the available literature. Personal experience is much more valuable. Thanks for the input!

well i tried tograb it the other day when it was on a rock, but it quickly hid in a hole so i was unsuccessful. i think ill watch it a little tho and see what it does. thanks for all the help

Back
Top Bottom