dinoflagellates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blondek727

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok were to start first off i was fighting a hair algae outbreak for over 6 months and i have finely won the battle and have no hair algae anymore. but now im noticing this brown slim looking stuff kinda web like that will contain bubbles in it. i posted a video on my youtube channel (quadrunner706 check it out if u like) and a friend of mine said it was dinoflagellates or dino for short so i looked it up on goggle and he was correct. my question now is how do i get ride of it. it doesnt seem to go away no matter how many times i suck it out during water changes. by the way my water perameters are all perfect no phos, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, nuthin and the ph is 8.3 sg 1.025. the main tanks lights are on for 10 hours a day and the bulbs are fairly new. and the sump lights are on when the mains are off. i have a reef octopus nwb110 skimmer (best skimmer ever) and a phosban reactor running rowaphos. the refugium has a 3in sand bed and macro algae. so if anyone has had this in there tank before and has gotten rid of it please help i was tould its not good for corals or snails and can kill them oh and its a bactieria not an algae. thanks alot everone ahead of time.:confused:

Attachments

• DSCF0247.jpg
    DSCF0247.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 1,141
Have a look at:
Problem Dinoflagellates and pH
The problem dinoflagellates encountered in reef aquaria are often brown, although they can also be almost colorless, green, yellow/green or rust colored. They form masses that coat surfaces such as the tank's walls, rock and sand. The coating often becomes filled with oxygen bubbles during the day as the organisms produce O2 during photosynthesis. The mass is often described as gelatinous, slimy, snotty or gooey. That part of the description may be the best way to distinguish it from other typical reef aquarium pests, although other organisms in the ocean (such as chrysophytes) have a similar appearance.

Is the problem worse before lights off and a bit better before lights on?
Try cutting off al llight for 3 days.
Do you have any macro algae (cheato) in a sump/fuge? That can help outcompete the dino.
What is your Alk and pH?
High Alk (10+ and pH (8.6 - 8.8) are supposed to help kill it.

I also found this post on another forum. It is anecdotal only, but...
"I got rid of dinoflagellates in my tank in a couple of weeks. I tried several methods, and this is what I did:

I stopped all circulation pumps and within an hour an orange cloud appeared in a corner near the surface (I checked the orange substance in a microscope and identified it as dino). I siphoned out this cloud and started the circulation again.
For two days I had no lights on, but that did not seem to work. When the lights were turned back on, they just bloomed right back.
I then ordered some algen ex from fauna marine and dosed 5ml/100l for three days (not recommended), added limewater and covered the tank completely with black plastic, both sides and the top for two days. When I put the ligths back on, they soon reappeared.
After appr. one week I decided to do a water change (10%). I shut down all circulation once more, and siphoned out the orange cloud that formed. Just prior to the dinoflagellate bloom I dosed vodka, but had to stop dosing as my montiporas started to loose tissue. I have a lot of C.racemosa in my tank, and did some reading about N/P ratio of this algae. It turned out that this algae removes about 150 ppm N for every 1 ppm P.
At the same time I read a couple of articles that claimed that low nitrate could cause dino blooms, and decided to give it a try. I raised NO3 consentration to appr 3 ppm, and within a few days dinos were completely gone.

I do not know if it was the NO3 addition (potassiumnitrate) that killed them, or other factors. They for sure survived the two first attempts, but dissapeared shortly after I started dosing KNO3. During the period it took the dinos do dissapear, I did not do anything else to kill the dinos. Lights were on for 12 hours and I did one 10% waterchange as I normally do once per week. "

(bold is my editing).

HTH

Wow, so raising nitrates killed off the dynos? Maybe I have dinos and thats what covers the sides of my tank and the other high flow areas? I have zero nitrates (according to the test). This stuff appears over night!

Maybe I should go a little while longer inbetween PWC and see if nitrates go up and this junk down?

Matt

Wow, so raising nitrates killed off the dynos? Maybe I have dinos and thats what covers the sides of my tank and the other high flow areas? I have zero nitrates (according to the test). This stuff appears over night!

Maybe I should go a little while longer inbetween PWC and see if nitrates go up and this junk down?

Matt
Dinos are often confused with common diatoms , however they do not burn out as such ...
I had em and I hit them with H20 changes I dont believe raising the nitrAtes will kill them off but rather they consume them .... I had them nearly a year before IDing them and nixing them ....I did back to back every other day H20 changes till they were gone ...but I ended up defeting them ....

That too :p but this stuff covers just about any surface you can imagine :D
Tho with mine I dont ever recall thinking they were cyno ... but rather diatoms

ya they cover everything i just cant figure out what there feeding on my water parameters are excellent zero phos, zero nitrate, zero nitrite, zero ammonia and i use ro/di water so i just dont get it maybe theres not enough flow in the tank i have 2 koralia nanos and a #2 so maybe theres just not enough flow i was savin up for a mp10 w maybe that would help? idk

They are probably feeding off the phosphates and/or nitrates. I have had alot of algae problems in my reef and usually my numbers are all 0. I assumed the algae was eating up the phos/nitrates.

I also battled dinos for a short time. I basically siphoned out what I could during water changes. I started doing 2 5g water changes each week for a few weeks (tank is 38g) and I also used a turkey baster to siphon it out between water changes. Eventually it stopped returning and finally went away all together. I also added a refugium with chaeto to try to out compete the dinos. I think basically what helps the most is just siphoning out or using a turkey baster between water changes to get it out. You have to be on top of it almost daily (or daily if its really bad) because it grows back over night.

Maybe I ought to hold off on my daily scrapings for when I do my PWC so I can suck out all the debris from the junk. I hate this stuff...Makes a nice tank look terrible. At least it comes off, unlike scratches!

Matt

This stuff will make you want to pull your hair out ..
It will cause you to cuss it out ... I had almost trashed the tank because of this stuff, I changed out LR I did every thing and this stuff was satanic !!
I just could not get it to go , I clean the tank with in 12 hours this brown snot covered every thing and I mean every thing ....corals , power heads , sand , LR , even my mag cleaners given the chance it would have grown on the fish , it even grew on a couple of the snails ! I was even reduced to tearing the tank apart and scrubbing the LR , when I did that they disappeared for about a day and bam covered in the brown snot again .....I eventually bought new LR and changed it out with in 3 days again it was covered in this brown snot !! I found a couple articles on how to get rid of it and tried the ideas and they worked for me .....
IDing this stuff is half the battle ... I tried every thing from chemicals to diffrent methods of filtration .... nothing
I cut lighting and slowly brought it back ..up to 8 hours a day
I then started doing every day 50% H20 changes , I would scrub and use a tooth brush to get just about every where that I could ( I would have ripped the new rock out if I had to but did not WHEW!!! ) after doing the H20 changes I would spray all my cleaning instruments in vinegar and rinse in HOT water of 130* just our tap did fine ... I switched salts from IO to RC and RO/DI water from distilled . I did the 50% for nearly 6 months then backed them down to every other days to 50% , then gradually to weekly , eventually it killed it off I have not had an out break since ...
It took me nearly a year to get rid of this stuff it was sooo bad ....
All my tests were in check as this stuff ate it as fast as it was produced ...starting the tank over was a small option however the issue is that with dinos when you have 1 little spore it is enough to get it started ... so with that it was on corals etc ... those would have had to be saved ....yet to save those ment killing that stuff off but if you cant kill it in the tank how in the heck are you gonna kill it on corals ?
So we just did it as a package .... and won the battle ... do NOT Let this stuff get out of hand or you will see that it takes forever to get rid of this crap .... hit it early and get rid of it ...If you are unsure treat for dinos while waitng on a positive ID , if you are not sure what it is dinos are stringy , snoty looking algea , that can and does have bubbles in it , tho not all of it does .... This stuff will reappear in hours blacking out the tank in my experienced did NOT help alot ... Tho this will not hurt to do for up to 3 days but you will likely see it reappear when lights come on with in hours ... if you have this stuff good luck it sucks !!

Ugggg...All that work sounds just as bad as simply living with the stuff. I must have something else, as its not as bad as you describe. It forms film that gets thicker and then develops short filaments. Instead of growing longer, the stuff just thickens. Looks like the snails dont like it as they only snack on it here and there.

:confused:

Matt

Back
Top Bottom