Few ID's please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdogg85

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The first 3 pics are some sort of algae or something. The pic of the reddish film has me puzzled as to what it is other than some sort of algae. I don't think it's cyano because it has been there for a couple months and in a few other places and not really taken off. The stuff on the sand has been there since week 4 of the tank running and never went away. Tried manual removal, comes back. The last pic, I have no idea what it is, it came with some rock I got. All the params are 0 except calc is 450, dkh 9, ph 8.3, sg 1.024. The lights are 8 39w 14000k t5ho and are on a 8hr cycle.

Attachments

• DSC_0623.jpg
    DSC_0623.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0624.jpg
    DSC_0624.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0627.jpg
    DSC_0627.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0628.jpg
    DSC_0628.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 65
The first 3 look like a form of cyano or red slim (not positive) not too to sure on the last one.

first three look like red slime...not good at all. I think this happens when you dont condition your water properly. The third i think is just coraline algae which is good although there might be an aiptasia on it

I have seen red slime and unless there is a powderlike version(the sandbed pics), i don't think it is that. The stuff on the glass could be, but it hasn't developed the bubbles typically seen with cyano. The last pic, i'm talking about the white think in the middle of the coralline spot. It sways back and forth when the lights come on and retracts when they go out. Nitrates are less than 10 and phosphate shows zero. And the bulbs are only 1 month old.

The first three pics look like red slime. I had a BAD case of that in my 155g and the sand bed would always start out looking just like that. Give it time, it will be completely covered in a red, carpet like film over the top of the bed. And when you suck it out, it leaves behind these "roots" that are embedded in your sand bed, so unless you get them too, it will just come back.

I used red slime remover and chemi-clean. Both seemed to work well if I stayed on top of it.

I thought cyano came on hard and fast? It has looked just like the pics for about 2 mos. I was putting a piece of seaweed in and felt it, it feels clumpy, no slimy feel, but if this is the early stages, I have looked all over the place for some info on what cyano's early stages look like and act like but it is like finding 1 needle on Jupiter. And what's even more weird is there is not a trace on the rocks at all. I looked and looked and cannot find a trace of it. I forgot this part, but I use RO/DI water and IO salt mix. Test the pwc water every time and get 0 for both nitrate and phosphate. So I know it is not coming from the pwc or top off water. I feed every other day with formula 1 flakes and pellets, every 3 days a piece of nori for the snails and tang, once every two weeks a cube of mysis rinsed off. the food is gone in 5 min, I turn off the ph's and return pump for feeding so it doesn't get down to the sump and rot.

If not cyano, which is what it looks like, it could be diatoms. How old is the tank now?

Whether cyano or diatoms, its best to suck it out each time you do a PWC and cut out those flake foods. (They are high in nutrients for algae). You may want to increase flow in that area as well by adding an extra powerhead.

You may not have phosphate readings, but that is likely because the junk is using it faster than you can measure it. Cyano will thrive even on the smallest amounts of nutrients.

Are you growing any macroalgae? It could help out compete the stuff.

matt

I have chaeto, gracillara, and halimeda growing in the sump. I have two koralia 750 gph ph's, and I run two 9.5 mag return pumps. I feed every other day and the food is gone within 5 min. The tank has been running a little over 2 mos. I had the diatoms already, the brown ones anyway. I have sucked it out and it takes about a week to start to reappear, then it gets to the size in the pics and never goes any further. No sunlight gets to the tank at all. I read higher k value bulbs helped, thats why I got the 14000k bulbs. Wasn't there something on mag or calcium that stated higher levels of either would help keep cyano in check. this has me puzzled to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom