Multiple ID's please =)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surjer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys - I was hoping you could help me id some various things in my tank.

1st off is what I think might be a feather duster?

2nd are these red bubble looking things. It started off as a group of 3 or 4 bubbles together and now they are spreading..

3rd is what I think is slime algea

Attachments

• BigFeatherDuster.jpg
    BigFeatherDuster.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 61
  • RedBubbles.jpg
    RedBubbles.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 61
  • RedBubbles2.jpg
    RedBubbles2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 76
  • SlimeAlgea.jpg
    SlimeAlgea.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 58
4th is what I think might be a mushroom

and 5th is well, just my clown but i love this pic!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Jerry

Attachments

• Mushroom.jpg
    Mushroom.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Clown.jpg
    Clown.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 60
Can't really help you on the ID, but I just wanted to say "nice lookin' clown picture"! Great looking fish you have there.

I couldn't see anything in the 1st picture... guess it's too late in the day for me.
2nd/3rd picture looks like bubble algae, but I didn't know it came in "red". I just have seen the green varieties.
4th picture... wow... I've heard of cyanobacteria being blue before, but never seen it. I have to admit it looks like cyano, but I've just never seen it so blue before. Could be some type of sponge, but I don't think so.
Don't think that thing is a mushroom, but not sure what it is.. What I AM sure of though, is that you have a hair algae issue in the foreground.
Last picture... O. Clown. At least I got that one right!

First pic (directly in the middle, I think), looks like a possible feather, but I am leaning more to an aiptasia. 2nd and third pics, some sort of red macro algae (I don't think it is bubble), I'll have to look again at work on Monday, I have a link that has some common algaes. The fourth does look like cyano (maybe dinoflagellates) that tends to be on the brownish side.
Reguardless, this article shoul help you:
Algae control in salt water tanks
I would start working on it before it gets out of control.
I loke the clown pic as well.

I can't see anything in the first picture either, can you get another?
The bubble algae looking stuff looks like bubble algae to me. Botrycladia sp. I believe. I have it in my tank too. Actually, you are the first person I've come across after searching the entire internet who has the same algae as me. That stuff is destructive....trust me. With the amount of it that you have as well as all of that hair algae, you may want to consider taking the rocks out and giving them all a good scrub. About the slimey stuff...never seen blue cyano in a sw tank either, but that looks like it. The blue/green is more common in FW tanks.

I believe that 2nd pic is a type of red macro. I used to have some on my rocks until I started using GFO. It's all gone now, but it looked cool and didn't really spread alot. Figures the one cool macro algea I wouldn't mind having died off.

Well today I picked up 24 snails and a new fish. Cant remember the name of him but he is ghost white and eats the sand and it comes out of his gills. (Like a sand sifting fish). Pretty awesome! I also picked up a Phosphate Reactor. Wish me luck!

Ohh Another thing I might mention. The guy at the store asked me what I fed them. I told him I alternate between flake and pellets. He said thats probably a big cause of the excess nutrients. He said to switch to strictly frozen. Said to thaw out about a weeks worth and then dose it with vitamins. Then I can just feed them a little out of the tupperware container and not have to worry bout thawing all the time.

Right now I am using mysis shrimp but plan to get some other stuff too! - I remember reading a thread somewhere about feeding so I am going to go hunt that down now1

For the red algea, try Botryocladia skottsbergii or Gibsmithia hawaiiensis.

the 2nd pic is red slime algae if it starts growing some sort of blanket over it. but..when i had that i never had bubbles. so im thinkng bubble algae. get a minthrax crab, he'll eat them right up.

by the way...i overfed my fish, so thats what made my red slime algae out of control. but i dont think u have that, doesnt look like any type of blanket is growing over the bubbles.

I highly doubt that is bubble algea (but I could be wrong) so a crab might not eat it. I have found the best defense against algae is to keep great water condition as opposed to using a band aid solution to solve the problem. If you don't stop it at the source, you will continually fight the same fight.

Back
Top Bottom