Something to ID on my Zoos.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fnscasey

Aquarium Advice Regular
This morning when I look at my zoos, found got 2 very tiny looking like a nudibranch(0.5cm) crawling on the tip of the polyp when all the polyps are close.
Although did not see any significant damage it have done to the zoos, but are they reef-safe ? Should I remove it ?

Are they considered as hitch hikers in the aquarium ? Can help to ID this creature ?

It is definitely a nudibranch, and was more than likely feeding on the zoos. Look for more and remove as needed, also look for anything that might be egg masses and remove those as well. Be careful when dealing with the zoos, they contain a very potent toxin (palytoxin) that is lethal to humans at 4 micrograms.

Those are zo-eating nudi's for sure. Good call, Kevin.

If you like your zo's, inspect them carefully, and get rid of all of those critters you find - they will devour your zoanthids.

Be careful when dealing with the zoos, they contain a very potent toxin (palytoxin) that is lethal to humans at 4 micrograms.
This kind of thing scares the mess outta me. Does anyone have any reference for whats bad for you and whats not? Anyone know of a compiled list etc? COuld be a good resourse to have available.

Does anyone have any reference for whats bad for you and whats not? Anyone know of a compiled list etc? COuld be a good resourse to have available.
That would be a very awesome Idea.. I dont think its been done yet but it should be by one of the Smart ones LOL..

James

hat contezt Billy? I know of a thread on another board called reefkeeping dangers, which mentions many of the poisonous and common hazards associated with SW fish keeping.

I hear just regular latex gloves will protect you from zo toxin. Is this toxin a secretion or is it injected? Also
very potent toxin (palytoxin) that is lethal to humans at 4 micrograms.
Is the reaction to humans greater if one is allergic to bee or wasp venom. Read on a Lion fish thread here some where, that a venom is injected and a toxin is not.

Palytoxin is not injected, but must be absorbed through breaks in the skin and mucus membranes to enter the blood stream. Yes latex gloves will protect you. I imagine there are many variables that might effect how sensitive you are, weight age and health, for sure. But that is like asking if the reaction to arsinic is worse if your allergic to it. Your just as dead whether you were allergic or not.

Back
Top Bottom