Tiny green bubbles growing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toddww1

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i purchased some frags months ago and a couple had some of these "algea balls" among the zoas, but very minimal. 3 months later these little patches are poppin up on my rock. Should i be concerned or leave it alone? Thoughts?

image-1052688230.jpg

Bubble algae,it can spread fast and take over a tank.If you can,remove the rock,put in a bucket of saltwater and manually remove.You can carefully remove in the tank,by rocking the bubble loose from the rock,but if a bubble is popped/busted open it can release even more spores into your tank.Emerald crabs can also be an easy fix,most will eradicate it quickly,but they can be somewhat hit or miss.I had one that wouldn't touch bubble algae.

Thinkg is about emerald crabs is they POP the bubble before eating it because they can't always swallow whole. Never saw one swallow bubble algae whole anyway

Thinkg is about emerald crabs is they POP the bubble before eating it because they can't always swallow whole. Never saw one swallow bubble algae whole anyway
I've always felt the same way,but have personally witnessed on several occasions where they do clean it up without an outbreak.But manual removal out of the tank and rinsing in used sw is still my prefered method.

so this is gonna be a major overhaul. im gonna have to disassemble the whole tank as it is on all my big rocks. thanks for the heads up.

I actually went online and read alot about this bubble algea. pretty tuff stuff to get rid of. I had an emerald crab once, tore up my coral and made a mess of my tank at night, needless to say he didnt stay in the tank long.

If I have bubble algae in a spot where I absolutely cant take it out of the tank I turn off all pumps and cut it off trying not to pop it. In case it does pop I use air hose as a siphon and hold it as close to the bubble as possible. When I cut it off the air hose sucks it up or sucks onto it if it is big. I do this every time I find some bubbles and it has never grown back in the same spot or taken over my take. I rarely have bubble algae though

What worked best in my tank was snails. They ate it so fast that i could not grow back. My emerald crabs really did nothing.

Mexican turbo snails i drop in like one every five gallons. They will eat bubble and hair keeps my tank really clean and they are a cheap fix.

I must not have a Mexican turbo cuz mine doesn't eat that stuff. He always passes it up

Back
Top Bottom