What is this algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker66

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, I'm new to SW tanks, have had mine up and running approx. 8 weeks now.

I heard of the so called algae bloom after a the first several weeks and this is probably what I am going through but how do I solve it?

I've reduced lighting to 8 hrs a day, reduced feeding, done 25% water changes! changed the filter cartridge regularly, my salinity and levels are all great... But when I clean my tank and use a credit card to scrapes all 4 glass walls, and apply the steps mentioned above, my tank walls become green again after 2-3 days.

I know algae but I am being extremely proactive and doing everything I read but it will always come back!!!

What can I do?

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPad using Aq

Can you take a picture or tell us more about it? Are we just simply talking about the 'slime' on the glass? If that is the case, that is normal. All of us have to scrape and clean the sides of our tanks pretty regularly.

I can see algae building up on my glass the very next day. I clean it every 2 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think what you are going through is normal. Especially if you have a lot of light hitting the glass. If you use a fixture that focuses the light downward instead of broadcasts it, it will help a lot with the glass issue.

Back
Top Bottom