What is this and why all of a sudden ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
image-796281458.jpg

I no longer have a sand sifting goby after he jumped .
But I do have 3 brittle stars , crabs

This red algae started a week after my goby jumped .
What's the cause for it ?
How can I fix it without adding something to eat it ?
Is this algae good or bad ?

Attachments

• image-2212353017.jpg
    image-2212353017.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 147
First let me say that I am way new to this hobby and by no means an expert. I can only comment on something I've read about or experienced myself. With that disclaimer out of the way, I *think* it may be Cyanobacteria. I sent some pics of my tank to John at reef cleaners, looking for help with algae. I didn't even notice the cyano in my tank, just thought it was some nice color developing on my live rock, but John pointed it out to me. Looking at my tank tonight, I see lots more of it. Looks like someone took some reddish- pink powder and sprinkled it around.

Hope this helps, or at least gives you something to either confirm or rule out.

Next question .
Why all of a sudden and how can I eliminate it ?

I agree cyano.

It comes when there is an excess of nutrients in the tank. Your goby may have kept it at bay before. Removing the issue of excess nutrients means less feeding or better/increased nitrate removal (eg. better skimmer/more effective sump/better filter maintenance practices etc). This will be the long term cure for the underlying problem.
Removing cyano in the short term is simply done by increased water flow to keep them suspended and taken out of the system, decreased lighting or purple slime remover. Some clean up crew and fish will eat it as well.

I did a water change and before I noticed it .
I used different salt then I normally have .
I always use aqua vitrio and this las time I used instant ocean .
I don't believe it matters or would cause this .

Back
Top Bottom