what type of algae is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I was sure this was cyano, but now I'm not so sure......I'll try to describe it for you.

It's dark red in color, but when I go to remove it, it comes off in sheets. It's soft to the touch and it just peels off of the rock (not easily, however)

And it's only in one place, right in the middle of the tank up high on one or two rocks.

Cyano or something else?

If a pic would be helpful, I'll try to get one later today

Sounds like cyano to me, but I have yet to get it in my tank. I'm certainly not an expert.

What happens when you turn off the lights each night? Does it shrink overnight or is it the same size?

no change at night.....and it's kind of slow growing, too.

yeah, thanks tecwzrd I've read it many times and do everything suggested......nitrates are 0 and phosphates are 0 (both salifert tests) I remove this stuff occasionally, but it just comes back

I thought you understood the causes but just wanted to make sure. Your tanks not anywhere near sunlight is it? Also your po4 test can still show 0 because your algae is using it all up. Have you tested your food for po4? (put a small amount in 1 gal of water for 4+ hours and test)

I use homemade blender mush straight from Hara's recipe.......

Also, I use Rowaphos to make extra sure I don't have phosphates....that's why I'm baffled that this stuff continues to grow. I have a sump/fuge with chaeto and a really good skimmer. Very strange. I'll try to post a pic later for ya....

Do you remove your chaeto as it grows? If not just growing chaeto doesn’t help. Algae is frustrating on many levels when you can’t figure out the what/why.

Essentially algae grows from nutrients/lighting but it sound’s like you are doing everything right with the po4 removal and skimming.

I know you read that article but have you gone dark for a week or two yet or notice any improvement if you did?

tecwzrd....

Yes, I just removed a basketball size amount of chaeto out of my sump....mine grows like mad, and I try to thin it out every month or two.

The only thing I haven't done is a black out.....I did try to cut back my lighting schedule, though, and it didn't seem to help. I'm afraid to do the black out for fear of my BTA suffering, but I don't know.

And, yes, it's very frustrating!

I have a ton of flow in my tank, but if it's only growing in that one spot, maybe that's the answer....it's certainly worth a try I suppose....

Is it spongy feeling? If so, it might be a red mat algae. This stuff is not slimey like cyano and it does peel off in sheets.

hmmm....it is kinda spongy, I guess. It's kinda tough stuff, too, I have to really scrub to get it off. One of these days I'm gonna get a pic (keep forgetting)

Back
Top Bottom