White bugs swimming on the glass. Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boxster

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was investigating my newly setup tank (2 weeks now) last night and I saw countless of micro bugs sticking on the glass and crawling very fast. Sometimes, it burrow into the substrate and at time just moving up and down close to the substrate. The bugs is so small that you will not notice it until you looked at the glass very closely and focus.

Is this a parasites??? How do I remove it. My tank is 46 gallon with 45 lbs of live rock. It is cycled and I had 2 blue leg Hermit and just brought 2 perculia clown over the weekend. The clown is very active swimming and eat well last night. However, very early this morning (6.30am), while it still very dark, I saw one of the clown swimming with head up, tail down up and down at one corner of the tank. Could the white bugs causes it or is the clown still "sleeping"?? New to this hooby, don't know what to expect, please help.

Do not remove them. They are copepods and amphipods and are very good food for fish. My maroon clown is always swimming near the glass sucking up all he can find LOL

I got em too.... lots more now that I added 35lbs more LR.

I think they are very tiny copepods

Should be OK and good food for whoever would like to eat them. It is a sign of a healthy aquarium from what I understand. Apparently they can flourish and crash in cycles.

Mandarin gobies and such will eat them, but might eat them all and not have enough once they're gone. :D

Thanks. Great to know that the white bugs is not a concern. But just wondering why one of my clownfish behave this way. I am just worried that he is going to die. Can't wait to get home and see how he is.

I suspect that the clown is still sleeping when you see him like that mine always takes a few minutes to "wake up"

Back
Top Bottom