Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many thanks! I quickly looked up (so many types!) and it did say it will grow at an angle over the substrate instead of straight up when under high light which would explain that as well. It's doing really well but not too fast growing. Will have to see if I can source some more.

Many thanks! I quickly looked up (so many types!) and it did say it will grow at an angle over the substrate instead of straight up when under high light which would explain that as well. It's doing really well but not too fast growing. Will have to see if I can source some more.

Exactly. I can imagine it taking a different form under your intense lighting. It looks the same mine did leaf wise but the spacing between the new leaves it a lot shorter in your pic which I can only attribute to high light.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Exactly. I can imagine it taking a different form under your intense lighting. It looks the same mine did leaf wise but the spacing between the new leaves it a lot shorter in your pic which I can only attribute to high light.

Ah, many thanks everyone for the info. Probably is getting fairly high now light wise. Getting a bit more GSA near substrate on the glass I've noticed. Not much but I think I've taken CO2 and light as high as I can :) In total I found 4 plants of these so will replant them to replace the red alt as it grows out. The red alt just looks blah in comparison. Holidays coming up in several weeks so must resist buying anything more and just sort out what I've got (maybe I'll just browse at the lfs without buying anything).

:) Think I'll measure up for another tank in case I see any good deals.

Planning to pull most of the red alt when I get some holidays in a week. It tries and it has survived but it's never going to look great.

The giant hygro is loving the tank again. High enough light to be putting out side-shoots from stem base but not getting the dreaded lower leaf holes, curl and drop-off so much as before when under reef / hydroponics light. Early days still anyways. Will see.

Originally Posted by Delapool
(maybe I'll just browse at the lfs without buying anything).

Kwakatoo - "yep. Sure you can.."

LOL Kwakatoo - you beat me to it!!!

"Browse..." Oh reeeaallllly! A reconnaissance mission!

And I've now got an excuse :) Had to get the spare gravel vac out today as the old one seems to have been stepped one (dog got blamed by all concerned). So will have to go in (forced to really...)

Finished water change and pulled a few leaves off with GSA. Also noticed it growing at base of glass near substrate. Um'ing on turning lights down a little. Will see. Busy week and ferts dosing was a bit erratic so hoping that is it.

Got another flower stem and poked it out of a gap. Just long enough so hope it survives. The other flower is still there. I bought a paintbrush to brush along the flower and will hopefully get seeds. Never done that before so will see how it goes. (It could stop with the flower stems now, not sure how to stop it :) ).

Got another flower stem and poked it out of a gap. Just long enough so hope it survives. The other flower is still there. I bought a paintbrush to brush along the flower and will hopefully get seeds. Never done that before so will see how it goes. (It could stop with the flower stems now, not sure how to stop it :) ).

What an interesting little challenge. Hope it works out for you.

That sounds fun. Need a pic when it gets opened.

Have heard of a number of people getting seeds doing that, but not too sure which plants it was for. I get pretty little white papery/crepe looking flowers all summer from my outdoor buckets of Elodea, never noticed if there were any seeds. Now I am wondering.

Yes, on reading it doesn't look too difficult to get the seeds going. Just been looking around more and apparently hybrids are often sterile so I'm hoping I don't have one of those. The first flower is still going strong.

Information is a bit scanty. Apparently I run a brush or feather up the flower if anyone has heard of anything? Doesn't mention cross-pollinating(?) between different flowers or plants that I can find so far.

Darn flower stem was resting against the LED and must of been cooking. Put a pencil between it and light. Flipping plants.

:facepalm:

As for the pollen, is it a flower with male and female parts or some have M and some F flowers.

If you have ever grown Zucchini or squash - there are male OR female flowers...
Roses have male and female parts in one flower, for example.

You likely already know that but just in case or for others reading it in the future.

If it is a M flower, you can take and save the pollen in a bag or tiny container, or seal the brush into a bag preserving the pollen on the end of the brush and wait for a F flower and pollenate. Other wise just make sure to lightly swirl the brush over all of it a few times to pollenate.

Good question - brings back dim memories of biology. I believe it is both male and female on one flower but will have to read up. Thanks for the information, it's all great.

Holy cow - that's all sounding rather complicated. Sounds like a good experiment to me.

Maths, chemistry, now biology - like being back at school. :)

Good news is it looks like the second flower is up (hopefully). Grows maybe a half inch a day so will find out tomorrow I guess (no wonder it likes enriched substrates).

Maths, chemistry, now biology - like being back at school. :)

Good news is it looks like the second flower is up (hopefully). Grows maybe a half inch a day so will find out tomorrow I guess (no wonder it likes enriched substrates).

How'd it go?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Second flower is looking good :). Ran the brush along the flower just in case it did anything. First flower seems to be dying off. Will check tonight for any black seeds.

Back
Top Bottom