Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Second plant flower stem has almost reached water surface. This plant is determined! Fixed a few things that came apart during PAR testing (filter outlet popped off) and put stem where it can hopefully slot through a gap in tank cover.

Pics ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not much change.

Flower stem I think running in front of black cord and behind canister filter outlets.

Tip is just in front of cord going into water. Bit hard to make out. I'm hoping in the next few days to get it through the gap in covers and get better photo.

That is one long flower stem. From which plant did you say again?

It's from Aponogeton Crispus. A local was saying his flowers quite often so hopeful. Hasn't done a great deal so far but it's hard to tell as up the back. Looking at the photos I can see some growth in the tank and tank cleaning is much more enjoyable with the faster growing plants gone so guess I can't complain.

I need to take an identification photo next pwc of a red stem plant that is doing pretty well but not certain on name. It's doing a lot better than the red alt (persistent green spot algae) and I haven't been to the lfs in er, at least a fortnight.

Minimal algae still even with more light. CO2 diffusers running well so tempted to take the second led bank from 50% to 100% in a few weeks.

Crypts seem to have melted. Any ideas on how long they take to come back (if they do)?

Nice one in the algae. It's very satisfying keeping it at bay. It's hard to believe how many different types I managed to grow at one time.

I've never had Aponogeton but it's a species I definitely want to try. Need to do a bit more homework before I choose my next plant though.

Yeah def post a picture of that red plant. I think there's a few varieties of Alternanthera. Wondering if it's one of those.

CO2 system still going well with two diffusers. On the weekend I'm going to reduce the injection time before lights on as this is now making a big difference and I think first time ever that that the low ph cutoff is really being useful to not gas fish.

It normally tests within 0.2 of solution/vial and ph pen (although seems often to give lowest result), but it is several years old now (apparently these are good for 18 months although one local member has his for 3 years).

Just noticed the drop checker is well into the yellow and ph injection turned off. I think this new, full bottle of CO2 is causing issues. Running around adjusting stuff but need the weekend so I can see it all better.

Edit - found a switch to manually turn the co2 injection on and one diffuser was like a soda stream. Would of been flooding tank. Reset it back. Got to find instructions for ph controller now.

Last edited:
Drop checker and ph level looking better this morning as I went out the door.

On a happier note the flower is still doing OK:

74564-albums13177-picture70552.jpg

74564-albums13177-picture70553.jpg

This weekend plan to try finer sponge in the internal filter (my excuse for lfs visit this week!).

Last edited:
That flower is going to crawl out of the tank and eat your dog.

I thought the filter outflow would bash it around too much but it is doing well! Apparently you can get seeds off the flowers so tempted to try this. Although still not sure how it will go long term in the tank but going ok.

Shades of triffids :)

Yep, definitely a flower. Did a water change today and managed not to bump it so still looking ok. I'm going to do some reading and see if I can get seeds. On some quick reading it didn't sound like too much work. Worth a try as a large plant was $45 or something in the shop.

Replaced all the sponge in the internal filter with a finer type to see if any better.

Be great if you could get those seeds going! How's the co2 looking now?

Be great if you could get those seeds going! How's the co2 looking now?

CO2 much better now I'd say. Fish are more lively and the auto-ph shutoff wasn't coming on. Hopefully all sorted. I think last time the larger bottle of co2 lasted quite a few months so with a bit of luck that should be all done now.

The co2 diffuser inlets are still picking up some plant debris that seals off the inlets partially but look to be coping ok.

Still down with the flu but hoping to do some seed research this week.

Last edited:
CO2 injection sorted definitely and fish are more lively this week. Mainly noticeable in the tetras (more active?); the bottom dwellers and angelfish never seemed to notice.

If anyone knows the red stem plant on the top of the photos this would be much appreciated. I think it is called Rubra but not sure? It is doing much better than the red alt (lower in pic) and looking at gradually replacing it with this one. Slow growing but seems to be loving the spot up back of tank and I'm still taken with the idea of growing red stem plants between Java Fern on either side of tank.

If anyone has tips on growing red alt would be much appreciated :) The red alt hangs in there but lower leaves get GSA and eventually curl (despite essentially EI dosing).

74564-albums14486-picture70563.jpg

74564-albums14486-picture70564.jpg

Did the weekly pwc and took the top off that red plant doing well so I could replant it.

Another flower has popped up (wish it would put more effort into growing leaves but dare not complain).

Very little algae still (except the above GSA on red alt) so the higher light looks ok and the giant hygro has taken to growing again.

Fish seem good, much more lively this week with lower co2.

Edit - must of pinched the flower stem as all shrivelled up. Cut it off. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom