Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nevermind my original post, gorgeous tank!!!

Many thanks! The depth is tricky sometimes to reach all spots but it wasn't much extra on cost.

Planning to take some trimmings of ludwigia to start replacing the red alt this long weekend. So not much filling in of tank yet. The GSA doesn't seem to have made a dramatic return. Been so busy though that testing and ferts dosing has been a bit erratic. Got a week off to check out.

Also still to properly check out the wilted first flower - I think there are tiny black seeds but not sure.

Seeds not sure on yet. I lost the second flower as went out for tea half-way through pwc and it just wilted badly on the stem below the flower (I swear it didn't get pinched).

Bit of a quick post as just finished (10.40pm :) ). All the red alt was pulled out and replaced with ludwigia or Java fern plantlets that I decided to harvest. Hoping it all stays put. Pics tomorrow when I can see what I did better. Lol - showing off a tank with progressively less plant mass.

No more trimming till Christmas?! That's like getting your present early.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

:) Should be a good month or two of letting it grow (I hope!).

Felt bad taking out the red alt as decent stems. Then I realised the leaves were in bad shape and shedding pieces. Went much quicker then lol.

Decided to have red plants towards the back on either side with a hedge of Java ferns in the front. The flowering plants in the back behind central ornament still. Crypts are in there somewhere maybe.

My original idea of growing Java fern between red plants I wasn't quite happy with.

Java can get big! Having it attached to something and being able to move it around if great.

How do you attach? I was thinking of glueing the plantlets to a pebble or something. I've got another couple getting to a decent size soon and could be transplanted. I think - size wise the plantlets are about soup spoon size in diameter. Not sure if that is good time to transplant or leave them longer?

I had read they can get to a foot high, they are just slower growing then the red plants due to my tank depth I think. No algae on them though so happy there.

I use clear rubber bands or fishing line. If it is mostly rhizome I sometime use portions of hair net.

Was it bad for the fish when you first added everything and the water was super cloudy? I am debating yanking all my current gravel and either replacing it with new or getting rid of the soil pellets but if I do this it will make a huge mess for sure.

I use clear rubber bands or fishing line. If it is mostly rhizome I sometime use portions of hair net.

Many thanks, I'll have a look. Great ideas. (Must confess I'm tempted to get the glue from the lfs to try as short on legitimate reasons to go. :) Could possibly get some replacement Congo tetras but stocking isn't bad at moment. The rather shy bumblebee catfish is getting pretty huge now, wish I got to see more of it!).

Was it bad for the fish when you first added everything and the water was super cloudy? I am debating yanking all my current gravel and either replacing it with new or getting rid of the soil pellets but if I do this it will make a huge mess for sure.

Redoing the gravel made a huge mess when I did that. Pea-soup for a day or so even with seachem clarity and next filter clean removed a lot of fine clays. Now pulling up or replanting makes a little mess but not bad (mostly debris not clays).

The substrate is a mixture of gravel, seachem fluorite and a planted pellet with a lot of clay ferts tabs added. Mostly I have stem plants which don't have really big root systems.

I am moving all my mosses to driftwood. You can see it in this pic with the hair net. The buce is in here as well with visible clear bands. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474850487.104927.jpg

That looks nice! I assume it grows through the hair net and covers over? I do have plenty of driftwood to attach things to, it's just all jammed in like pick-up-sticks and I think I might start hunting for some larger, better pieces that could more readily be lifted out.

Yes it grows right through the net and isn't visible. I remove the bands after it has attached itself.

A minor update. The Aponogeton Crispus has leaves visible now from front of tank so think that has doubled in height. No more flowers, might have given up on me. Been super busy so haven't done anything with testing phosphates or seeing if I can get seeds off the first flower plant. No GSA on glass yet so fingers crossed it has settled down.

Spoke too soon. Just removed a few spots of GSA at base of tank. Forget b12, light, ferts and other stuff - I think it just grows if you think about it...

Lol - you just need to think about the exercis...zzzzzzz

So hoping I can get to the fish shop tomorrow. Some more fish on the list. Couple of congo tetras to replace the ones I lost maybe. Or maybe something else - maybe a single fish that would go with tetras and angelfish.

Back
Top Bottom