Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nitrate test results are:

JBL - 40ppm.

API liquid/vial - 5 or 10ppm.

CHEMets - 22ppm (somewhere around that). The CHEMets comes with 30 tests, after that you need to buy more. I think a photo-colour reader can be bought for them which would be useful as I had to ask the family to check the colour but significant extra cost so I think only worth while if using for a business. And for my needs there isn't that much difference between each colour standard. Using the cadmium is slightly worrying though, the powder seems easy to use but yeah, wouldn't do it drinking coffee.

I've wondered for some time if my old API nitrates test kit read a bit high (almost empty but not expired) compared to the new API test kit which just feels like it reads low somewhat.

74564-albums14484-picture71289.jpg

74564-albums14484-picture71290.jpg

74564-albums14484-picture71291.jpg

74564-albums14484-picture71292.jpg

Latest tank shot (little messy). Starting to prune everything except the swords pretty regularly now. The bolbitis seems to be getting a little more height so just trying to tame it from spreading too much and burying the crypts.

Did a graph of PAR decline and it came out at about 5% bulb decay per month. Since that was on all of three readings, did another PAR reading today and it spiked back up so I give up. I need a little selfie stick or something so I can set the PAR meter at a set distance under water but parked for moment.

Just looking at pictures it seems to have filled in more. I've noticed the catfish starting to have to bash their way through the plants so think it is getting pretty well filled out at substrate.

15th July
74564-albums13177-picture71316.jpg

5th June
74564-albums13177-picture71191.jpg

14th May.
74564-albums13177-picture71155.jpg

4th April.
74564-albums13177-picture71097.jpg

Last edited:
Great progress it looks beautiful. I love the idea of catfish bashing through the forest. Lol

Looking good Dela. I'm sure I've asked before but how is your water hardness? Are you still dosing PPS-Pro and if so are the micros using the new reduced mix or old?

Thanks! I think the aponogeton is a nitrate hog - last week ramped up the nitrate dosing quite a bit and tank water seemed still ok. Root system on it must be huge.

Dosing is of the old micros mix still plus a seachem bottle of ferts I won (probably not doing much). I think this was at pps-pro levels or less from memory (had to convert PMDDs to PPS-Pro). GH and KH around 6 (will have to look back through posts myself).

I don't think everything is entirely happy but minimal algae still so can't complain.

Looking good Dela. I'm sure I've asked before but how is your water hardness? Are you still dosing PPS-Pro and if so are the micros using the new reduced mix or old?

Last readings from late June. The CHEMets nitrate test suggests this API one under-reads by 15ppm.

Nitrates - 5ppm API
Phosphate - 2ppm
Kh - 72ppm (4)
Gh - 143ppm (8)
Calcium - 72ppm API

Say in your travels, have you seen anything more on higher phosphate levels removing green algae? I've tried it twice now and seems to help such that next time I get algae I'd test for phosphate. But can't find any science on this...

Love science...so many variables.

Good looking tank - love the great progress, no matter the different testing numbers, lol :)

Last edited:
Love science...so many variables.

Gook looking tank - love the great progress, no matter the different testing numbers, lol :)

Lol, the PAR readings were looking so good at 139, then 110, then 91 over time - then today's was 120 and mucked it all up [emoji851]

Hmmm, too many test kits....

Bought another API nitrate test kit and both say 5ppm. No colour difference I can see.

Also tested phosphates and sinking down again. Going to have lift dosing I think. Test result 1ppm.

Last readings from late June. The CHEMets nitrate test suggests this API one under-reads by 15ppm.

Nitrates - 5ppm API
Phosphate - 2ppm
Kh - 72ppm (4)
Gh - 143ppm (8)
Calcium - 72ppm API

Say in your travels, have you seen anything more on higher phosphate levels removing green algae? I've tried it twice now and seems to help such that next time I get algae I'd test for phosphate. But can't find any science on this...

Thanks. I think there is a strong correlation between high Po4 and lower amounts of GSA but this doesn't mean that it is a healthy fix. Po4 should be low. 1ppm should be fine and I would say if you are getting GSA (like I am currently) look for the cause because low Po4 does not cause GSA.

Have you come across any of Marcel Golias's work?

I would say I'm in the high PO4 camp (5-10 ppm), however, it has been so long since I've tested anything.
Back when I was testing on a regular basis, I noticed outbreaks of GSA when there was an increase in lighting (e.g. - new fixture). I would see it primarily on the front glass and on the leaves of the Staur repens. To be honest, I can't explain why the GSA went away, it just did.

Thanks. I think there is a strong correlation between high Po4 and lower amounts of GSA but this doesn't mean that it is a healthy fix. Po4 should be low. 1ppm should be fine and I would say if you are getting GSA (like I am currently) look for the cause because low Po4 does not cause GSA.

Have you come across any of Marcel Golias's work?

Catching up :) Hadn't seen any of his work so would be interested for sure.

No GSA at moment but seems like new bulbs the trigger and the GSA fades over time but increasing phosphate seems to help. (or I could not replace 4 bulbs at once :) )

I would say I'm in the high PO4 camp (5-10 ppm), however, it has been so long since I've tested anything.
Back when I was testing on a regular basis, I noticed outbreaks of GSA when there was an increase in lighting (e.g. - new fixture). I would see it primarily on the front glass and on the leaves of the Staur repens. To be honest, I can't explain why the GSA went away, it just did.

Gasp! Think I'm over-flowing with test kits now. The JBL pro scan is the way of the future I think - just let the iphone work out the colours. I think I'd still keep a good solution/vial kit but brilliant to get a swag of tests done in under two minutes.

I think the plants are better in the 3 and above range here as well. Possibly as if I increase one element, I'm lifting dosing for the rest.

The action of PB seemed so mean, to do this without telling in much advance notice. What a mess all over the place.

The plants look healthy. That is good thing. Anubias looks happy.

Back
Top Bottom