Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The action of PB seemed so mean, to do this without telling in much advance notice. What a mess all over the place.

The plants look healthy. That is good thing. Anubias looks happy.

Very much agree on PB. This photo was landscape shot on iPhone, loaded from iPhone album to AA album, then took about two minutes to successfully grab 'front' portion and 'back' portion (hard one as hidden off to right) of the BB code link. Still quicker than sending to desktop computer.

The Anubias is doing well. GSA algae gone and just in the centre is one or two remaining leaves damaged from the furan 2.

Keep thinking I'd like to tape off more led lights to reduce light intensity in the betta tank and try a piece on driftwood. Got a society auction next week so might try to grab some (who am I kidding, I'll be there front and centre...).

Maybe tape off an extra bit until the A. Gets used to it and remove a little more over time.

It is frustrating about how much time loading pic takes. I do it the snails pace, phone... get to check for correct orientation /sideways edit save to laptop, go to album load, save and paste to thread...so covenient, lol.

I can't help but wish you to have a ball at the auction!!!

Yep, I've given up - but at least I'm planning my impulse buys.

Makes a lot of sense on tape. I know the light is still too strong. Think I'm only running it 5 or 6hrs as well. Oh well.

Turns out I've put masking tape over 2/3 of the LEDs and only running 5.5 hrs.

The curtains were replaced a week ago and this tank is an algae magnet when curtains are open (even with backing on tank sides).

Think I'll look into a snail replacement for the pond snail that went a month back.

I wish, I wish.

Pond snails, MTS (both mostly free as not sold directly) and gold mystery snails I can get in auction (not ideal). Not much sadly.

I'm not sure - the mystery snails could be apple snails (no species label). Could get some and try to figure it out.

I haven't found a reliable way to tell other than seeing how large they grow. Where I live, apple snails are banned for argircultural reasons I believe, so I know I'm getting mysteries if I go to the store. Either way you get a fantastic snail, you just get to be surprised with its size. Who doesn't like surprises? :lol:

I haven't found a reliable way to tell other than seeing how large they grow. Where I live, apple snails are banned for argircultural reasons I believe, so I know I'm getting mysteries if I go to the store. Either way you get a fantastic snail, you just get to be surprised with its size. Who doesn't like surprises? :lol:

I think last time I got these at auction they got to about just under an inch in size if that helps? Gold colour.

Updated plant list below. Cleaned out about a shopping bag of plants to open it up again and re-planted the Rubra as the stems were looking scruffy. Looking at the list I seem to have lost an aponogeton up the back so will have to have another look next week. Still can't find the missing buce from last auction but new ones in.

The bolbitis is going well, still getting height but no algae and thought this would get lots. Java fern is running amok at the front.

One aponogeton looks like it is has a (micros?) toxicity issue. A lot of recent brown/black spots (looks different to K deficiency), and leaf edges rotting. Will see if I can get a photo up. So tank looks a little lop-sided but should get better.

Back RHS Aponogeton Crispus (flowering).
Back Aponogeton Ulvaceous (flowering).
Back Aponogeton Undulatus.
Back Aponogeton Capuroni.
Back LHS Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern).

Front Java Fern (narrow leaf).
Middle Anubias (Petite).
Middle Bucephalandra (Titan).
Middle Bucephalandra.

Right Cryptocorine Balansae.
Right Cryptocorine Wenditti (red).
Right Crypts (assorted).
Right Amazon (Marble) Sword

Left Crypts (assorted).
Left Ludwigia Reopens (Rubra).
Left Amazon (Marble) Sword
Left Proserpinaca Palustris (Mermaid weed)

74564-albums13177-picture71359.jpg

Last edited:
True about the fish - just a little room to swim ;) And that pic is after clearing out plants?!?

Wow, I'd say the plants are really growing great! It looks lovely. The Java Ferns are really going to town! The plane wreck looks right at home there.

The Java fern has me worried - I think I'll just try cutting this time. Was really tough trying to prune with fingers last time.

Other photos not so good but to share:

Java fern from small tank with H2O2 burning (the light green colour isn't normal compared to fern in main tank but been like that for months). Will see if it recovers or pinch more from main tank.

74564-albums14486-picture71381.jpg

74564-albums14486-picture71382.jpg

And I'm not sure - I'm guessing a micros toxicity on the aponogeton since I can remember increasing micros (dry dosing) and decreasing calcium carbonate but as usual took no notes. Normally it is a nice pale green but cleaned out a lot of leaves with black spots and leaf edges rotting. Was doing very nicely as well.

Last readings from several days ago was nitrates 10 or 20ppm and phosphate 1 or 2ppm.

74564-albums14486-picture71380.jpg

74564-albums14486-picture71379.jpg

Nitrate readings this week:

API - 5ppm.
API - 5ppm.
CheMETs - 15ppm (second ampoule as first failed).
JBL - 18ppm (downlight shadows still tricky - second reading).

Pulled out several handfuls of narrow-leaf Java Fern from main tank and decided to use it in small tank. Was only going to pull one odd bit out but ended up pretty easy to prune and the swords / crypts behind it were getting buried.

Back
Top Bottom