My 5 Gallon Journal :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, ammonia was a little high (as in just readable) after the deaths over the weekend, i've since done some massive water changes to clear out all the nasties from a tank full of dead plants and fish, ammonia is back to 0, nitrite 0, nitrates were low though (5-10) so i added some fert tabs for the plants. I'm not sure i trust the tank is FULLY balanced, but I didn't want the Oto I had to pass away also from lack of a friend (they need each other for digestive bacteria or something) so I wanted to get the Oto in ASAP, as for the rest, they'll have to wait until i'm comfortable that the tank is stable again.

Just thought I would post a quick update. I went away for the weekend again and came home to a crystal clear tank with only a smattering of dead Wisteria leaves (only 1 or 2). The cabomba had little to no death, and the Crypt wendtii and the Anubias both has NEW growth. So it seems like the tank is starting to bounce back! Both Otos and my betta are doing well. Tank appears to be having a mini-cycle, ammonia and nitrIte are both at readable levels (~.25) NitrAte is 5-10, but I think mostly that's from the fert tablets I put in the tank. I did a ~50% water change to reduce the ammonia and added some pieces of wisteria with good roots growing out of them from my 20g to float in the water and hopefully suck up some of the pH, and hopefully the beneficial bacteria on the leaves will help as well :) The pH is low I believe from the driftwood. So i'll be keeping a close eye on this tank and trying to get it to bounce fully back.

Sorry to hear about the deaths from a few weeks ago, but I'm glad to hear that things are coming back nicely! I hope the tank continues to do well and I can't wait to see pics!

Just wanted to post another quick update, had a couple randomly melting crypt leaves today, but the wisteria finally seems to have bounced back and is growing instead of dying, so yay for that! :) I added a tiny bit of crushed coral to the filter, pH is up a bit! Betta and Otos are still happy. And the mini-cycling is progressing nicely, ammonia is still around .25, but the nitrIte is at about .5, and nitrAte is at ~10+ even though i haven't added any more fert tabs recently, so the bacteria seem to be kicking into gear and hopefully we'll have the ammonia and nitrIte back down to 0 again in no time! Here's a couple of pictures, i know i need to move things around a bit, but I want to let everything get some roots and get healthy again for a little longer before I start moving things ;)

2 Tank shots (different settings):
img_872789_0_3ecef738ec310def1b1c1fbd25c8bcef.jpg

img_872789_1_cb55faa3a193f6e2db23c786a5575c0d.jpg

And a couple nice shots of the Betta
With Flash:
img_872789_2_f3a088d19d16a273496d088c57b1d569.jpg

And a couple without the flash so you can see closer to the color that I see when I look in the tank:
img_872789_3_7c208ca9cb5f2e06575f1a4c08e3fd6c.jpg

img_872789_4_f49e8f80ef27dff5d84944a1553e5991.jpg

Sorry...he got camera shy after the first one so he's kind of hidden by plants :p

Jessie - thanks! I hope so too, so far it's still doing nicely so here's hopin' right?

Thanks so much! I appreciate that! I'm starting to breath a little easier about this tank, but taking it slow to get it back to being stable :)

Very quick happy update on the 5g....plants are all starting to show signs of NEW growth instead of dying on me! WOOHOO!!! mini-ish cycle is chugging along, should be good as new soon, and the pH is holding at a steady 7.2...I believe it's time to start thinking about getting my sad lonely Oto a new friend soon! :)

Thanks! I appreciate the support and encouragement! Without it I might've given up on this little tank....but i'm so glad i didn't.

Quick update...plants continue to grow in nicely! WOOT! Parameters have been stable for about a week, ammonia and nitrIte are finally back to 0 and nitrAtes are rising, pH is steady at 7.2-7.4, GH is about 8, KH is about 2-3. Phew. So with more stabilized parameters I decided at the end of last week it was time to add back Oto friends for my one tough little guy that made it through all the turmoil. I got 2 in case one didn't make it, but both are doing well! So i have 3 active, fat, happy, healthy looking Otos in my 5g now. Might be too much bioload to add back the little cories, not sure. They might have to wait until the next tank I set up
icon_wink.gif
Or possibly i'll put them in the 20g. They're so cute, i'm absolutely in love with them now so I need to get them for SOMETHING!
icon_wink.gif
:-D

Need to do a little trimming and replanting now that the plants are healthy again and then i'll post pictures.

So many projects now that both tanks are happy again! :-D

I did a bit of rearranging in the tank today, I switched which side the cabomba and wisteria were on and moved the large crypt from behind the driftwood to in front of it. And I shifted the driftwood to the right (if you're facing the tank) a bit. I'm not sure if I like it, I think I do but i'll have to wait until it grows in a little more, and "fluffs back" up....plants never quite want to stand straight and look nice right after they get moved around do they?

I took a couple pictures but the water is a bit murky. I'll take some more when the water clears and the plants are (hopefully) no longer leaning in weird directions! ;)

img_876399_0_df3db43be33690d9df42c2e092d796ad.jpg

img_876399_1_88371ce20a509a90baf831aa4c3064df.jpg

As always, input of any kind is more than welcome!

Thanks! :)

Well, I am happy to report that after a weekend away, instead of a disaster, I came home to find my tank looking quite lovely. The very crooked (tallest) wisteria on the right has straightened out nicely, some of the other wisteria plants appear to have grown a bit, and the cabombas have straightened out and grown as well! All three Otos are frolicking around the tank and the betta is doing his thing :) Finally, i can breath a little easier about this tank as it seems to be stable. (the mini-cycle is also over, back to 0 ammonia and nitrIte, ~10 nitrAte :D)

Well, I am happy to report that after a weekend away, instead of a disaster, I came home to find my tank looking quite lovely. The very crooked (tallest) wisteria on the right has straightened out nicely, some of the other wisteria plants appear to have grown a bit, and the cabombas have straightened out and grown as well! All three Otos are frolicking around the tank and the betta is doing his thing :) Finally, i can breath a little easier about this tank as it seems to be stable. (the mini-cycle is also over, back to 0 ammonia and nitrIte, ~10 nitrAte :D)

Sounds like everything is going great. Nice work!

awesome tank! i'm looking to do the same too. i will get a 5 gallon tank soon and i plan to add real plants and a betta! i've never had real plants in a tank. so i'm looking forward to that. and i love bettas. the last one i had for over three years.

thanks for adding all your pics! i'll get mine set up soon and will add pics soon too. the excitement! =)

Sounds great! I'll have to post updated pictures soon, I added some more plants. It's really fun having live plants, it adds a whole new dimension to keeping a tank! The fish seem to love it too! :) Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom