Post pleco pics ^o^

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try a burrito pipe. You can order them online. They're also great for breeding

I'll take a look at them. I've been having a look on ebay but I'm needing to make sure only she can fit into it!
Thanks both of you for the idea's.

Hi, guy's I'm hoping you can help me out. I have a female bnp and I'm trying to get her a perfect hide, I've tried pleco pipes but she wouldn't use them and recently tried a coconut cave which she used once they didn't bother again. I'm wanting something only she can fit into and not my elephant nose who has started chasing her. Any help on this would be great :) thanks.

from my experience i have used stacked rocks to create hiding spots for my plecos and they seem to love them. be careful on how you stack them so they done fall but all my plecos are very happy with the rock formation that i build for them and i have a breeding pair of bnp, blue and green phantom, sunshine, candy stripe, and two sailfin plecos in with my assorted african cichlid tank and they are all doing very well. but that is my experience.

from my experience i have used stacked rocks to create hiding spots for my plecos and they seem to love them. be careful on how you stack them so they done fall but all my plecos are very happy with the rock formation that i build for them and i have a breeding pair of bnp, blue and green phantom, sunshine, candy stripe, and two sailfin plecos in with my assorted african cichlid tank and they are all doing very well. but that is my experience.

Thanks, more idea's the better.

okay, snot otter, how do they do in the high pH?

well that is a good question. from all the information that i have they all prefer a pH of 7 or a tad lower. since i've had them they all seem to be doing great. all are eating well and don't show any signs of stress or disease. the pH of my water is around 8.2.

well that is a good question. from all the information that i have they all prefer a pH of 7 or a tad lower. since i've had them they all seem to be doing great. all are eating well and don't show any signs of stress or disease. the pH of my water is around 8.2.

That's amazing.

That's a really nice structure! How do you rate the overflows? Are they efficient?

I've got a 40 gallon sump with a fountain pump that pumps over 1200 gallons an hour. So far the overflows have worked well. I did add a UV sterilizer to keep any algal blooms away and the system is working well.

I had to move my bnp out of my elephant nose tank he ended up really hurting her, at the moment she's in my bettas 16gallon and she's settled in fine she's even using the coconut cave, my problem is if I have to put her back into the big tank do you think she'll use the cave if it goes in with her? And what do you guy's think about her going back in? Need your help on this as i don't feel the 16 gallon is big enough for her. Thank you :)

I had to move my bnp out of my elephant nose tank he ended up really hurting her, at the moment she's in my bettas 16gallon and she's settled in fine she's even using the coconut cave, my problem is if I have to put her back into the big tank do you think she'll use the cave if it goes in with her? And what do you guy's think about her going back in? Need your help on this as i don't feel the 16 gallon is big enough for her. Thank you :)

When I took my BNP out of my old 15 it was because he began to terrorize the fish in with him. It's very temporary. If your elephant nose is that aggressive I'm not sure how the BNP will manage when it leaves it's cave to find food. The best you can do is spread caves throughout the tank for her, as protection

When I took my BNP out of my old 15 it was because he began to terrorize the fish in with him. It's very temporary. If your elephant nose is that aggressive I'm not sure how the BNP will manage when it leaves it's cave to find food. The best you can do is spread caves throughout the tank for her, as protection

She got use to me feeding her in the afternoon when he wasn't out, but at night he makes her stay in one place and she can't move i think he doesn't want her eating his food! At the moment in my other tank she's more calm, I'm just worried he could end up really hurting her. My husband says to leave her where she is but i don't feel the tank is big enough. Thanks

Got some new plecos in!

Some calico LF BN Juvies. Came in this morning, ordered 4+1 and got 6! Now I'm up to like 14 calicos

I got an L144 blue eye baby as a gift from Lotsoffish for winning an auction. He's sooo tiny! 1/2" at the most! I didn't see him when I got the package in and dumped him into the QT with everyone else. I hope he doesn't get hurt! Would much rather have put him into a breeder net to grow a bit. Once he/she sexes out I'll get him a girl/boy friend (sorry for the poor quality! He's just too tiny!)

I also got some more starlights in. They like to hide by my filter so it's practically impossible to get a picture of them

Attachments

• image-2746212341.jpg
    image-2746212341.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 123
  • image-4165594697.jpg
    image-4165594697.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 132
Got some new plecos in!

Some calico LF BN Juvies. Came in this morning, ordered 4+1 and got 6! Now I'm up to like 14 calicos

I got an L144 blue eye baby as a gift from Lotsoffish for winning an auction. He's sooo tiny! 1/2" at the most! I didn't see him when I got the package in and dumped him into the QT with everyone else. I hope he doesn't get hurt! Would much rather have put him into a breeder net to grow a bit. Once he/she sexes out I'll get him a girl/boy friend (sorry for the poor quality! He's just too tiny!)

I also got some more starlights in. They like to hide by my filter so it's practically impossible to get a picture of them

Nice, if you ever need that male or female l144 ill hook you up. Breeding them is my side challenge at the lfs.

Nice, if you ever need that male or female l144 ill hook you up. Breeding them is my side challenge at the lfs.

That's awesome! I'll definitely keep you in mind! How much do you sell them for? Would getting like 3-4 Juvies be a better idea than waiting for this guy to sex out? I don't know how desireable they are as I've never looked into them myself, but if its a lot cheaper to get them as juniors than a single adult I'd probably rather do that route. Saves me money up front and would make me a little money in the future.

Do you breed any other types? I'm in need of some more green dragons as well

That's awesome! I'll definitely keep you in mind! How much do you sell them for? Would getting like 3-4 Juvies be a better idea than waiting for this guy to sex out? I don't know how desireable they are as I've never looked into them myself, but if its a lot cheaper to get them as juniors than a single adult I'd probably rather do that route. Saves me money up front and would make me a little money in the future.

Do you breed any other types? I'm in need of some more green dragons as well

Well sub-adults we sell for 50$, although me being the breeder I can bring it down to 35$. They're generally sexable at this size but cannot reproduce until another few months. They're really beautiful, none of that Albino stuff :p their color is legit yellow.

You know, I haven't thought of green dragons, but I can imagine a marble green dragon would look amazing. Right now I breed mainly Peruvian zebra plecs at my lfs. They're pretty big, 5 inches each. Then I breed l144 as a side project. At home I've bred clowns, BNPs, and rubber lips. Soon ill be trying green/blue phantoms or something along that price range :)

So all you Pleco lovers.

How big does the common Pleco get, how long do they live, and what do you supplement their diet with?

So all you Pleco lovers.

How big does the common Pleco get, how long do they live, and what do you supplement their diet with?

My experience is that the common pleco can grow up to 18+ inches. They can live for quite a long time, I've heard over 10 years. Never had one that long before so idk. They are primarily algae grazers but supplement with aquatic wood is also good. That's my two cents

My experience is that the common pleco can grow up to 18+ inches. They can live for quite a long time, I've heard over 10 years. Never had one that long before so idk. They are primarily algae grazers but supplement with aquatic wood is also good. That's my two cents

I saw someone with one that is 20 years old. Been with him since he was a kid lol

Back
Top Bottom