110 gallon build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just got a 110 gallon reef ready tank with a stand for 100 bucks. The tank itself is in very good condition, just needs a little cleaning. I'm starting this build thread to get an idea of what i wanna put in it. I would like some suggestions on what to do and comments in my progress. I'm still in the process of acquiring parts because I only have the tank and stand. So everyone please feel free to comment and what-not. I will start posting some pics soon but in the mean time please join. I need help deciding on some fish for my tank

Nice deal for $100! Do you want corals in the future cause that will dictate some of your fish choices. :)

carey said:
Nice deal for $100! Do you want corals in the future cause that will dictate some of your fish choices. :)

Well actually I want it to be fw. I don't have the money it takes for sw

LOL I saw the reef ready tank and just assumed.

Good luck though !! I have a 125g fw african cichlid tank myself. :-D

Love all my tanks fw and sw!

carey said:
LOL I saw the reef ready tank and just assumed.

Good luck though !! I have a 125g fw african cichlid tank myself. :-D

Love all my tanks fw and sw!

I want one but I think I'm gonna be happy with this one. The dimensions are 51"x21"x28" and the glass is a half inch thick and it weights about 300lbs. with out anything in it

Okay so here is my sump design. Please tell me what you think. I NEED comments and suggestions to better improve my design.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111210_143700.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111210_143700.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 113
Also, the pump I wanna use is for ponds. Do any of you think it will work? It pumps out 3600 gph and at 6 feet high it will pump between 1800gph - 2000gph. Will this work for a 110gallon tank

Here is the work in progress. I'm using a super fine pfs. I need another 50-100 lbs. But here it is. Let me know what you think

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111211_201135.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111211_201135.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 139
Okay so here is my sump design. Please tell me what you think. I NEED comments and suggestions to better improve my design.
as long as you can get better flow through your sump than that monster pump you will be fine. idk if your filter pad will let that much water through and if the sponge would either.

ok i didnt read everything. 30g sump would be fine i guess. i dont think i would use such a big pump. the fluval fx5 claims 607gph. and thats rated to a 400 gallon tank. if you can get a pump to match that i think you would be good.

sorry for all the rapid replies. but when selecting you return pump factor in your head hight, you know about that part, and factor in your pipe length and number of bends for your return plumbing. ive played around alot with my little tank and just one extra 90* for me made a noticeable difference in return volume.

coffeetwitch said:
you said its reef ready? how large of pipe for your in and out? is it dual overflow? sorry if i missed something.

Its a single with a 1inch pipe for the out flow and the input will be 1½ inch

kk, diy durso standpipe and i stand by my previous statement to not push 1000+ gph through your sump and you will be good.

coffeetwitch said:
kk, diy durso standpipe and i stand by my previous statement to not push 1000+ gph through your sump and you will be good.

Well the top of the tank sits 8 feet high so I figure its only gonna be 1000 gph plus I will be having one of these (see pic ) so I can lower the gph

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111211_224601.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111211_224601.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 77
danner mag drive 18 would be a good choice just looking at the specs. 1000gph at 8' after you plumb and with your ball valve on your return line you will have quite a bit of flexibility. that or something with similar specs. are you planning to use a submersible pump or external?

coffeetwitch said:
danner mag drive 18 would be a good choice just looking at the specs. 1000gph at 8' after you plumb and with your ball valve on your return line you will have quite a bit of flexibility. that or something with similar specs. are you planning to use a submersible pump or external?

Its a submersible and the only reason I'm going with the pond pump is because its 100 bucks and those others like the magazine drive are insanely expensive IMO

Okay so I have figured out what fish I want in there. Definitely a tiger Oscar. Its a very pretty fish. Anyone know about Oscars/cichlids

They are messy over eaters and great fish to have. If anything can fit in its mouth it's at risk of being food. They need plenty of room to live in and can get hole in the head/ lateral line erosion if they are over fed or too poor of water quality. And can be aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom