Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani View Post
Mine wasn't siliconed on it had hard water crusted on it and I just ran my blade through it and it slipped right off. Looking at your tank though I'm not sure if that's going to be possible for you. It looks like yours is structural the black on your tank looks like it's part of your braces. They run across the top and bottom of the tank right? Not just around the tank?
Yes, correct. My plan is to use it as a sump for a 150g tank. I guess I'll just try resealing it and placing some kind of strap around that side and hope for best.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it's only going to be used as a sump does that mean it will hold half of the water? (I've never had a sump)

Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #33

Quote:
If it's only going to be used as a sump does that mean it will hold half of the water? (I've never had a sump)

Yes, about that. Not as much pressure.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Figure it should be ok. Are you doing all the seals? Or just the insides?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Figure it should be ok. Are you doing all the seals? Or just the insides?

I was thinking of just doing the inside. Other than the inside, where else would I silicone?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4fish

I was thinking of just doing the inside. Other than the inside, where else would I silicone?
With mine I had to break it down completely, I don't recommend this unless it's in dire need. It wasn't fun at all. Lol! If your outside seams look good no chips or cracks or shifting I wouldn't worry about it. When you look at your tank from the outside on the corners in between where the two panes of glass meet there's silicone in there too. Thats what I mean by the outside seams. As I said though if it looks good don't touch them. Lol! I had to build a frame (level of course) for the entire tank then disassemble the wooden frame take apart the entire tank clean all the panes of glass and then silicone and reassemble it inside the frame I already made while taking care not to shift any panes. It was painfully tedious and very time consuming. But my tank needed it. Most people would've just bought a different tank in my shoes. Lol!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #37

Quote:
With mine I had to break it down completely, I don't recommend this unless it's in dire need. It wasn't fun at all. Lol! If your outside seams look good no chips or cracks or shifting I wouldn't worry about it. When you look at your tank from the outside on the corners in between where the two panes of glass meet there's silicone in there too. Thats what I mean by the outside seams. As I said though if it looks good don't touch them. Lol! I had to build a frame (level of course) for the entire tank then disassemble the wooden frame take apart the entire tank clean all the panes of glass and then silicone and reassemble it inside the frame I already made while taking care not to shift any panes. It was painfully tedious and very time consuming. But my tank needed it. Most people would've just bought a different tank in my shoes. Lol!

They appear good. I just finished stripping as much of the old sealant as I could and will attemp a reseal in a couple of days. Thanks for your help!
I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Remember to use alcohol on the old seams to remove even the smallest trace of silicone before you apply the new. Other wise the new stuff won't adhere properly. Let me know how it goes
Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Savage?? How's yours coming along? You still going to wait until spring?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Savage?? How's yours coming along? You still going to wait until spring?
So far, I'm waiting. I've been so busy with the other tanks right now I haven't had much time to think about it. I am a little concerned about the crack that I noticed in the frame. Mostly because it's on the bottom/side, and it's pretty long.

I can't lie though, I've been on the lookout for a 125g that needs some TLC too. If I find a sweet deal (and mama doesn't slow me down) I'll still do the reseal for a breeder tank or QT. LOL! But regardless of the weather, once I get this other 55g where I want it, I will be starting another!!!!

Up to this point, my wife hasn't joined AA, so I'm safe to say these things! hehe

Is yours holding up? You cycling by now?

Tags
55 gallon, seal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com