Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani View Post
Mine wasn't siliconed on it had hard water crusted on it and I just ran my blade through it and it slipped right off. Looking at your tank though I'm not sure if that's going to be possible for you. It looks like yours is structural the black on your tank looks like it's part of your braces. They run across the top and bottom of the tank right? Not just around the tank?
Yes, correct. My plan is to use it as a sump for a 150g tank. I guess I'll just try resealing it and placing some kind of strap around that side and hope for best.
__________________

__________________
need4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mlani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 1,153
If it's only going to be used as a sump does that mean it will hold half of the water? (I've never had a sump)
__________________

__________________
Mlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani View Post
If it's only going to be used as a sump does that mean it will hold half of the water? (I've never had a sump)

Yes, about that. Not as much pressure.
__________________
need4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mlani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 1,153
Figure it should be ok. Are you doing all the seals? Or just the insides?
__________________
Mlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani View Post
Figure it should be ok. Are you doing all the seals? Or just the insides?

I was thinking of just doing the inside. Other than the inside, where else would I silicone?
__________________
need4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mlani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4fish

I was thinking of just doing the inside. Other than the inside, where else would I silicone?
With mine I had to break it down completely, I don't recommend this unless it's in dire need. It wasn't fun at all. Lol! If your outside seams look good no chips or cracks or shifting I wouldn't worry about it. When you look at your tank from the outside on the corners in between where the two panes of glass meet there's silicone in there too. Thats what I mean by the outside seams. As I said though if it looks good don't touch them. Lol! I had to build a frame (level of course) for the entire tank then disassemble the wooden frame take apart the entire tank clean all the panes of glass and then silicone and reassemble it inside the frame I already made while taking care not to shift any panes. It was painfully tedious and very time consuming. But my tank needed it. Most people would've just bought a different tank in my shoes. Lol!
__________________
Mlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani View Post
With mine I had to break it down completely, I don't recommend this unless it's in dire need. It wasn't fun at all. Lol! If your outside seams look good no chips or cracks or shifting I wouldn't worry about it. When you look at your tank from the outside on the corners in between where the two panes of glass meet there's silicone in there too. Thats what I mean by the outside seams. As I said though if it looks good don't touch them. Lol! I had to build a frame (level of course) for the entire tank then disassemble the wooden frame take apart the entire tank clean all the panes of glass and then silicone and reassemble it inside the frame I already made while taking care not to shift any panes. It was painfully tedious and very time consuming. But my tank needed it. Most people would've just bought a different tank in my shoes. Lol!

They appear good. I just finished stripping as much of the old sealant as I could and will attemp a reseal in a couple of days. Thanks for your help!
I'll let you know how I make out.
__________________
need4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mlani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 1,153
Remember to use alcohol on the old seams to remove even the smallest trace of silicone before you apply the new. Other wise the new stuff won't adhere properly. Let me know how it goes
__________________
Mlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mlani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 1,153
Savage?? How's yours coming along? You still going to wait until spring?
__________________
Mlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
savage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bristol, WI
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani View Post
Savage?? How's yours coming along? You still going to wait until spring?
So far, I'm waiting. I've been so busy with the other tanks right now I haven't had much time to think about it. I am a little concerned about the crack that I noticed in the frame. Mostly because it's on the bottom/side, and it's pretty long.

I can't lie though, I've been on the lookout for a 125g that needs some TLC too. If I find a sweet deal (and mama doesn't slow me down) I'll still do the reseal for a breeder tank or QT. LOL! But regardless of the weather, once I get this other 55g where I want it, I will be starting another!!!!

Up to this point, my wife hasn't joined AA, so I'm safe to say these things! hehe

Is yours holding up? You cycling by now?
__________________

__________________
savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
55 gallon, seal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Should I reseal used 55g with silicone? Tigroscr Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 10-01-2011 06:47 PM
Can i just reseal the outside of my aquarium? Oscarr19 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 15 07-13-2011 09:31 PM
Can i just reseal the outside of my aquarium? Oscarr19 DIY Projects 1 07-12-2011 10:47 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.