Acrylic tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

healthier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i decided to try to make an acrylic tank but i made a mistake when i ordered the acrylic. I had them cut to the length and i forgot that the bottom part had to have the rest of the tank (the front back and sides) need to sitting on it. So the bottom sits inside the rest, will that be a problem or did i just waste a ton of money?

I''m not sure it'll make a difference. I would think you would have the same amount of water pressure on that seam regardless of where the pieces join together. However, I've never built my own tank before so I have no experience.

You should not have any problems building the tank that way. It is just going to be a little more difficult.

tank size

How big a tank are you talking about? What are the dimensions of what you are building? Do you have any pictures yet?

Strength-wise, if the joints are done well, it shouldn't matter too much (the polymers re-allign and merge the same way in both cases). Just have good bottom support for the tank. Design-wise, like someone pointed out already it'll be harder to put it together. You have to be perfectly flat with the bottom piece (and this must be repeated for all 4 sides) or the bottom of your tank will not be flat, and that causes stress concentrations and sites for crack propagation. Sorry went a little into material science.

Back
Top Bottom