Can I do this DIY fixture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imahawki

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking I can squeeze 2 of these (http://www.hellolights.com/36wday71165s.html) over the small glass opening in my 35 gallon hex using this (http://www.hellolights.com/2xbalkit.html). So, considering that puts me over 2 watts per gallon, could I get away without a reflector? I have very limited options and I'm trying to squeeze lighting over a VERY small space (think the amount of space you'd have for a light bar over a 10 gallon) with a 22" deep tank.

There is an 18.5" wide by 4" deep window on top of the tank. That's all I have to work with. That kit is 7" deep so the second bulb would be shining onto black plastic, not through the window. I know I dont have an ideal situation, but this is the tank I have to work with. Basically anything wider or deeper than those dimensions wont work. The reason I suggested what I did was because I think I can angle the lights in my current light hood and get "most" of the output. I could do a 1x36w from that place you linked to but is 36 watts enough to do a planted tank with the 22" depth I'm working with.

Can you fit a DIY reflector around two bulbs? Not as efficient but better than nothing. Putting the lights at an angle potentially makes restrike an issue. If your goal is more of a low light, not medium light, tank it could be enough.

I'm not trying to shoehorn people into an answer I want to hear, but I really dont want to do a light behind. I mean, when you look at the tank you're going to see the bulbs. That kind of defeats the purpose of having a nice looking tank in my opinion. Would 1 36w (which I could do easily) be considered low light and enough to at least do SOME kind of plants? I know my brother did live plants fairly well with a "plant light" bulb in the stock 14w fixture. I could order the 1x 36w kit with the reflector and it would be a snap to integrate seamlessly. Would that be a enough?

Sure. It is a tall tank but with the reflector I think you have a great shot for a lush low light tank if you wanted. Post pics -- there are not many planted hexs around here. Good luck.

I will do so when I get it up and running. I need to order the light then, modify my existing fixture to hold it, do a partial water change, finish the fishless cycle, and then bring some fish and plants home. Phew, a lot left to do ;)

you could go for MH lighting.. 70 watts for reasonalbe light and 150-175 for a really high light/CO2 the works setup.. they would easily fit over your opening.. :p

any links? I have not seen any 70 watt MH. I dont want to go high light because I'm not planning on going CO2. I also dont have a UV shield.

Back
Top Bottom