DIY 5gallon Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duncantse

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon tank and only the 5 gallon tank can fit inside my stand. Can somebody help me design a sump that has mechanical filtering,biological filtering,area for protein skimmer+heater+etc, and another area for the water to pump back up.

Can I use a powerhead connected to vinyl tubing to pump water down to my sump and then use another powerhead connected to vinyl to pump water back up?

I don't know if it is possible with only a 5g tank. Plus, I don't think a skimmer is needed with a 20g tank.

With a 10g I think you at least now have room to section into at least two sections. Still don't know if a skimmer is needed but maybe a hang on skimmer down on the sump, then 1 section for rubble or something and another section for the return.

How high should I make the baffles to section my tank?

Also do you think the powerhead+vinyl tubing will work?

I'm not sure on how high to make the baffles as I've asked that in my own sump thread. I would say high enough to leave 2-3" of room at the top of your sump (enough room for water to not overflow if there is a power outage). I do know people use tubing but most use PVC with minimum bends if possible.

Back
Top Bottom