Diy sump for 30 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elykreefs97

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking into making a sump for when I start my 30 gal nano reef. I want it to be 10 gallon idk if I should drill it or use an overflow im using 1 inch PVC and a 100 gph pump its going to be a standard overflow setup bible trap refugium return. Is there any measurements you cold give me or any other info

I would vote drill if you can swing it.

As far as measurements for your sump, it is going to depend on your equipment. It will be tough to get a skimmer in a 10G if you are looking for one, and still have room left for a fuge, and leave sufficient volume for the return section. Remember as water evaporates out of the system, the return section is what will lower... so if you only have a gallon of water in the return, you could be looking a situation where your return pump runs dry pretty quick unless you use an auto top off system or top off every day.

What I would do is if you are going with a skimmer, decide which one you want, make the first section just big enough for it. The fuge in the middle should then be around 2/3 of what's left, and the last 1/3 is the return section. You also need to make sure you can fit your pump in the return section as well, though.

Here are a couple of photos of my DIY sump in progress. I have 3/4 in drilled holes with a DIY overflow box. As u can see I am still testing, but I am getting around 300-400 gph I got the ten gallon tank from pet co for ten bucks. And spent 10 dollars on acrylic.

Attachments

• image-1361387985.jpg
    image-1361387985.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 161
  • image-3664639682.jpg
    image-3664639682.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 172
I was thinking about getting the nano biocube skimmer for 60 bucks bc it's very small and then making my return about 3-4 inches across then having live sand and some ruble rock in my refuge

Also I'm using inch PVC put idk the pump power I would need with that

Back
Top Bottom