Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

DIY wet/dry trickle filter

just finished (ok, maybe not "just" finished... but you get the idea. lol) building a low flow wet/dry sump for bio filtration for one of my exodon tanks.

standard pvc overflow. (first time making one. usually i just buy the box)

painted and cured

some of the other pipes and valves

first test (check valve still wasn't installed at this point. also, there is no filter in the sump, its just the bucket)

check valved installed and second test running. (pipes behind the tank where they belong, and bio tower installed)

looks like the flow is still a little too low to keep the overflow primed without cavitation. but i dont want to go much bigger. hopefully i can get a hold of a couple of slightly larger pumps to see the bare minimum i can get away with.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

problem solving day:

came home to find one of my exodons swimming in the pipe, so i had to fashion some kind of screen.

cut a piece of eggcrate and shoved it in the pipe. looks small enough so they dont get in there again.

then i attached an airline from the check valve to the venturi of a powerhead inside the tank. this works the same as an aqualifter, to keep air out of the overflow.

also added the spray bar, and uv filter.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i needed to raise my tank so i could add another layer of media to my wet/dry, so today i built a 2x6 extension for my cement tank stand. (which is nothing more then a few cinder blocks stacked up.

i picked up this chop saw at a garage sale a couple of years ago for $10. best $10 ive ever spent.

haven't used my hole saw in a long time. im glad to finally have a use for it again

i almost forgot how awesome these quick grip clamps are. makes my life so much easier.

also moved the UV filter, and incorporated it into the system, so its no longer running of a second pump in the sump.

and finally got it up on the cement blocks, and ran the pipes through the extension.

now to clean up and put the cover back around the stand
Old 09-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Looks pretty good! I tried making a PVC overflow and decided to just go with a commercial one, if set up properly they shouldn't lose a siphon. Overall I say nice job though!

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah, i used to just buy the box overflows, but for this one i decided to build it. after doing it, and a few tests, i got it all figured out, and now i never have to worry about losing siphon. i even took some extra precautions that arent really necessary, but it worked into the system, so why not. lol.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Sounds good to me!

I love DIY's. I was thinking of doing a wet/dry filter for my FOWLR but it turns out it may do more harm than good lol.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

how do you figure that?
Old 09-30-2009, 12:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well the bio-media (be it bio balls or ceramic rings) works good but overtime becomes a nitrate factory, which causes the chemistry of the water to suffer (can be resolved by cleaning the bio media occasionaly). Aeration is good, but the better biological filter is the "live" rock. (or rock and sand in general)

Old 09-30-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

right, but for a fowler setup, you wouldn't necessarily use the same design. your bio media in the sump would be the LR.
when i was running SW tanks, my sump had all the LR in it, and my display was pretty bare. 75g w/ only sand and one rock cave to the far left for my panther grouper to hide in. this allowed him more swimming room, and i could fit more live rock piled in the sup than i could to stack nicely in the display.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

My sump is empty except my DIY skimmer. I wanted to get some LR to put in there with some chaeto or something but the price of rock at my LFS is insane.

Tags
diy, dry, filter, ick, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com