Hard water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mix reverse osmosis water with source water to lower hardness and TDS..
In most cases messing with water is a recipe for disaster...
Making water harder takes more effort and the addition of minerals which needs to measured carefully.
Again in most cases many fish will be fine in your source water unless it is very skewed towards one extreme or another..
I keep and raise my GBR in same tap water I keep and raise swordtails in..Both say they prefer different parameters but matching/chasing numbers is not necessary IMO..
Now if you want to breed sensitive fish you may need to make water better ,but otherwise I would not ..

Bandit is right, you have to have a real passion for the hobby and a specific tank in mind to make it worth while mixing up your own water. I do it because I have extremely hard water, and I like high tech planted tanks and low tech shrimp tanks.... both don't really work well with very hard water, so I cut it with RO and boost some Ca and Mg to acceptable levels.

But, have I had luck in the past running both shrimp and high tech planted tanks in hard water....? yes, great luck, it's just easier with slightly softer water.

Hello Fish...

Why do you want to do this? Just curious.

B

Back
Top Bottom