In Wall Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malum

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all I am new to this and I was wondeing if some could help me out with a diy project.

I recently removed an in wall bar from my living room. The space is fairly large and a perfect spot for a fish tank. I already have a 90 gallon tank with a custom stand my questions is this. I would like to place the stand and the tank into the open space and then build a wall infront of the tank. If this fesible, and does anyone have any tips.

Make sure you have good access to the tank for when you need to do maintenance. Would you be able to get to the tank from the back?

Make sure you have good access to the tank for when you need to do maintenance. Would you be able to get to the tank from the back?

Yes, the back of the wall is my garage. I was thinking of placing my sump and pumps in the garage. To do maintenance I wanted to build some sort of access panel from the inside.

I haven't attempted anything like this but I would imagine some good water sealant would be a must! I've heard of people having to rip everything out a few months after they finished the build because the drywall is soaked or the wood frame is warping. Keep us posted as you go through it!

I haven't attempted anything like this but I would imagine some good water sealant would be a must! I've heard of people having to rip everything out a few months after they finished the build because the drywall is soaked or the wood frame is warping. Keep us posted as you go through it!

Is that from evaportation, or just water spills and splashes.

Mainly from evaporation but the plywood they used to build the stand's top also rotted, most likely from spills. The room was closed off, it was a walk in closet on the backside and it got really humid in there. He even installed a fan and tied it to his dryer vent to help get the humidity out.

Mainly from evaporation but the plywood they used to build the stand's top also rotted, most likely from spills. The room was closed off, it was a walk in closet on the backside and it got really humid in there. He even installed a fan and tied it to his dryer vent to help get the humidity out.

That's intresting, I never thought about humdity building up inside the enclousure. I might be able to put a vent in the garage and on hot days run a fan from the garage. Thanks for the tip.

My 55 gal tank is built into my wall. When I built my house I framed the opening it goes from my family room into the utility room the front is flush with drywall and framed by oak trim, it looks like a live picture the way it is set up. I will try to post a pic. It has been there for about 12 yrs. and I have had no problems I love the way it looks and it frees up floor space. Sorry if its not much help I just wanted you to know I've had no problems.

bnt1, what kind of tank do you have? Freshwater or saltwater? The one I was talking about having problems was a 200g salty.

I would be very worried about the cold from the garage impacting the tank

Back
Top Bottom