Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

In Wall Tank

Hi all I am new to this and I was wondeing if some could help me out with a diy project.

I recently removed an in wall bar from my living room. The space is fairly large and a perfect spot for a fish tank. I already have a 90 gallon tank with a custom stand my questions is this. I would like to place the stand and the tank into the open space and then build a wall infront of the tank. If this fesible, and does anyone have any tips.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Make sure you have good access to the tank for when you need to do maintenance. Would you be able to get to the tank from the back?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
Make sure you have good access to the tank for when you need to do maintenance. Would you be able to get to the tank from the back?

Yes, the back of the wall is my garage. I was thinking of placing my sump and pumps in the garage. To do maintenance I wanted to build some sort of access panel from the inside.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I haven't attempted anything like this but I would imagine some good water sealant would be a must! I've heard of people having to rip everything out a few months after they finished the build because the drywall is soaked or the wood frame is warping. Keep us posted as you go through it!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
I haven't attempted anything like this but I would imagine some good water sealant would be a must! I've heard of people having to rip everything out a few months after they finished the build because the drywall is soaked or the wood frame is warping. Keep us posted as you go through it!

Is that from evaportation, or just water spills and splashes.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

tagging along...
Old 07-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Mainly from evaporation but the plywood they used to build the stand's top also rotted, most likely from spills. The room was closed off, it was a walk in closet on the backside and it got really humid in there. He even installed a fan and tied it to his dryer vent to help get the humidity out.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
Mainly from evaporation but the plywood they used to build the stand's top also rotted, most likely from spills. The room was closed off, it was a walk in closet on the backside and it got really humid in there. He even installed a fan and tied it to his dryer vent to help get the humidity out.

That's intresting, I never thought about humdity building up inside the enclousure. I might be able to put a vent in the garage and on hot days run a fan from the garage. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My 55 gal tank is built into my wall. When I built my house I framed the opening it goes from my family room into the utility room the front is flush with drywall and framed by oak trim, it looks like a live picture the way it is set up. I will try to post a pic. It has been there for about 12 yrs. and I have had no problems I love the way it looks and it frees up floor space. Sorry if its not much help I just wanted you to know I've had no problems.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

bnt1, what kind of tank do you have? Freshwater or saltwater? The one I was talking about having problems was a 200g salty.

Tags
tan, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com