Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
"I had a custom build wooden stand built with canopy and I realized that my floor not exactly level from side to side, but it is level front to back." Take it back and have the shop repair the crooket stand....NOT The shims are the way to go. Level the table before you add water to the tank.

Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanis f9r all the great tips. I think the shims have spoken.

eatsomepopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Shim the stand for sure. I would not shim the tank (too dangerous in terms of stress), nor would I cut down the stand (permanent, and might alter structural integrity.)

Take your time to measure the exact height needed. <Use temporary shims to get it perfectly level, then measure.> Then make a wood perimeter stripe (all 4 sides, assuming the stand is resting on the floor on all sides & not raised, plus any extra supports the stand needs in the middle) that is the exact profile needed (lots of planing & sanding!). Use maybe a 3" wide stripe for ease of working (or as wide as the stand's support), and make it so it is just proud of the edge of the stand. <May be round off the edge for a nice profile, miter the corners so it all fits.> Then turn the stand over & nail the stripes to the base of the stand, finish it to match the stand.

You are basically making a low profile platform (that is tapered to fit your floor) for the stand to sit on. (I am thinking maybe 3/4 -1" so the difference of 5/16" won't be too noticeable.) Since it is all the way around the stand, it will look like part of the stand & not a hammered in shim job.

I hope I am making myself clear!

80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com