My DIY PVC SUMP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlackMagic

Aquarium Advice Freak
i got couple question about the InFlow.

Overflow is build out of 3/4 PVC. My water pump is rate at 1000GPH.
my return going to be build out of 3/4 PVC also. My problem is will my Inflow be the same rate as my OutFlow?

My water pump bulk head is 1", but i found a way to go around it n use 3/4.
so 3/4 PVC on a 1" bulk head.

2nd question, on my overflow, should the air pipe be longer or shorter?
3rd question, how high on the PVC should i poke a hole to stop the flow if one day the power goes off, to stop over flowing?

1st pic is my overflow made from PVC.
2nd pic is my water pump as my return.
3rd pic is the inside of my sump/bin.
4th pic is my 2 1" Tubing line conn. on 2 3/4 piece of PVC.
and my 2 V. Balls to stop the flow.

my overflow is not done yet, still need to add 3 more piece to it.

Attachments

• IMAG0020.jpg
    IMAG0020.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMAG0022.jpg
    IMAG0022.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMAG0023.jpg
    IMAG0023.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0024.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 137
This is going to be my stage.

top stage = my carbon
middle stage = my BIO
bottom stage = nothing.

im going to poke a hole on the top of the drawer for water to flow in. with holes on each stage so water can flow down and fill up the bigger bin. where my soil and plants and heater going to be at alone with my water pump.

Attachments

• 0007314920738_215X215.jpg
    0007314920738_215X215.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 878
I may be wrong but 3/4 PVC is around 440 GPH (there is a link on the forums somewhere) for gravity fed overflow. So I think without a bigger opening your pump may overflow your tank. Not sure if this helps. I'll try to find the link I'm talking about an repost it.

Thanks for the site rog.

hmmm what will happen if i add 2 more PVC to the FLOW. so water will flow into 3 PVC and into the sump. will that change the flow rate or stay the same?

at first i didnt feel like putting such a big pipe into my tank. doesnt look nice to me. so i went with the 3/4.

cant return it now. it been all cut up.

K, i have come to another idea, im going to conn 2 tank into the sump.
the water pump i have is a 500/500 it have 2 bulkhead. so by spitting it down, it should work right.

i dont know if its true but i did write it on a forum, since the water is being pump up, the GPH will lose it power, depends on how high the tank is to the sump.

so say the tank is high and my water pump is 1000gph, it should pump about 890gph up. i dont know if this is true or not.

Back
Top Bottom