New Lights for CHEAP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nyghtone

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just at Lowe's hardware and noticed that they sell T-12 bulbs rated at 6,500K for $5!!! I bought 4 and two ten dollar shop light setups for 20 bucks, added it to my tank, and it's very bright, I set my 32 watt 10,000K that came with my tank in the middle to have a total of 192 Watts of NO light.

It's a tad yellow looking, but my tank is a FOWLR setup, so I don't "need" the 10K and above light, it would just look better. Any thoughts on this setup as I like it very much for the time being while I piece together and build my PC 4X96W setup which is gonna add up to like 550, not 40 bucks, haha.

Thanks, Joshua...

Cool, thanx for the advice!!! I can't believe I didn't stumble on this before, after posting this I did a search and realized that I'm certainly not the first to bring it up. I went to one of my LFS's today and they only had T-10's, which I'd never heard of, so I'm going to be heading to a different lfs now to see what they has, haha.

Thanks, Joshua...

Depending on the ballast that you are using, a T-10 bulb may very well work in your setup. You need to look at the ballast specs...usually printed on the ballast. If not get me as much info on the ballast as possible and I will find out for you.

Mike

I actually found two 10k and a coralife 50/50 bulb in t12 today, the ten dollar ballast lights them right up believe it or not. So now I have 2 10K, 1 50/50 03/6K bulb, and one 6.5K. The look is actually just right, and now that I know that I can drive these bulbs with an icecap 660 I'm excited that I can upgrade my lights one step at a time.

I think that what I'd like to end up with is a 4X110W VHO setup with 1 each, 20K, 10K, 03 True Actinic, and a 6.7K. I think this will give me the look I want, and the light that the corals I want to grow will need.

I'm just wondering if I can fit these 48" bulbs into a canopy with endcaps, anyone have any experience on this???

Thanks again for the info guys, Joshua...

I'm VERY interested in these caps, but that link is broke :(

I'll see what I can find on their website though!!!

Thanks again, Joshua...

Back
Top Bottom