New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lucy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is someone able to point me in the direction for some good research material for starting a new tank, 75 gallon reef with sump pump with refugium? I have questions like how big should I build the sump, and how to match the pump. Im hoping to purchase a tank with holes, im worried about the overflow part. I'm pretty new to this. But I learn fast and have some experience with fresh water.
Thank you for your time here!

Welcome to AA!!

If you get a reef ready tank you will be ahead of the game!! The size of your sump and refugium are dependent upon the space you have in your stand. I usually suggest going as large as you can. For the fuge to be a benefit to the system it should be about 20% of the main display by volume. I have a 120g tank and my fuge is 20g, so I'm pretty close to that 20% mark.

You need to match the pump to your overflow, meaning if your overlfow is rated for 600gph then your pump should move no more then 600gph at the height of your tank. Most pumps will have a flow chart showing you their flow rating at different heights.

about.com has some good information on sumps and how to set them up. Check out our article section for information on cycling your tank. Any other questions, fire away!!

Back
Top Bottom