Potential DIY tank ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm brainstorming, figuring out what I'd best want, etc, etc.

So here it is. I want acrylic. GARF says 1/2" acrylic. Think this is sufficient?

Anyways, this is the plan. It will be in a corner wall, ideally in a living room arrangement. Plumbing will go down into the basement. The dark blue will probably be sump/fuge/skimmed water, while the teal will be closed-loop. There will probably be 2 pipes (one high and one low) for each colored return shown on the image. The overflow holes will probably be 1.5" to 2" (recommendations?)

My major question is for support, and as such concerns the top brace. I've enclosed what I'm thinking is correct. I know it's not to scale, but here's the info. I'm thinking a 2" wide brace (I'd just basically cut out the open portions with a router or something) every 2'. The tank will be 2' deep, about 22" high, with the lengths noted. Is this a correct assumption for the top brace? Also, I know this was mentioned somewhere, but does the top section go ON the sides, or IN the sides? I believe it goes ON, but I'm not sure.

As for the overflow bozes, I'm assuming I can just make little boxes, notch out the tops, and glue them into place. Any suggestions on the order in which I should do them? Glue them to the side first? Finish the whole thing and then try to install? etc.

Also, what do you recommend: cut yourself, or order pre-cut? If there a HUGE price difference? On GARF, it says you can use thick acrylic cement to fill in any holes due to uneven cuts, although it's not as pretty. Just wondering, in case the worst happens. =P

Any other ideas, recommendations, major flaws, please let me know. This is quite a ways off, but I want to get my master plan going.

Thanks!

Attachments

• tank-plan1.png
    tank-plan1.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 114
It looks like your using regtanular shapes to brace the tank... Have you thought about using triangle shapes instead.. they would be stronger.. :D HTH

Back
Top Bottom