Power Compact DIY links?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clearerphish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to buy a retrofit kit with 2 18w power compact fixtures with an external ballast. Do any of you DIY gurus have links to a good site to find this? I'm seriously considering buying a dual satellite PC fixture and cannibalizing it, but I'd rather go a lower cost route. I'm not finding what I want at places like foster/smith, marine depot, hellolights, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

tecwzrd said:
www.aquariumguys.com has a 12" Aqualight w/2-18W 50/50 complete unit for $48.99 and considering the bulbs are around $12 each and a ballast is going to run $30+ IMO it's not worth trying to build it yourself which typically saves more with larger setups.

I saw that, but it's not what I'm looking for. I actually went with a 2x9w mini-aqualight. My goal is to retrofit an existing hood to get some actinics in a 15 gallon tall AGA.

I have completely disassembled the aqualight, but I need a little help.

I have the following parts:
- Two 9 watt ballasts, each with a white wire and a black wire (with a connector to one side of the bulb attached to the black wire)
- one three-prong electrical cord terminating in a white wire, black wire, and a green wire with a ring terminal on the end
- one switch with two wires emanating from it: one wire is all black, one wire is black with a white stripe
- two black wires, ending in bare wire on one end, a connector to the other side of the bulb on the other end.

I do not care about installing a switch. I intend to seal the ballasts in a small enclosure and locate it away from the canopy, probably in a small standalone box behind the tank. I am assuming:

-I should tie the two white wires emanating from the ballasts (ending in bare wire) together with the white wire from the electrical cord (solder/heatshrink)
-I should tie the two black wires (ending in bulb connectors on one side, bare wire on the other) into the black wire from the electrical cord
-I should do something with the green loop wire - ground it somehow?
-I should connect the bulbs and pray.

Is this correct? I will not proceed with this until I get some responses, so please respond. I want to do this tonight, but I don't want to screw it up - want to do it right the first time. Can anyone help me?

503849895_06b4c6bc21.jpg

503849889_71a2823967.jpg

503849881_fcc01fc899.jpg

I got it working. It was like I thought, the wiring simply did not correspond with what I expected - white was hot. Everything looks good.

Back
Top Bottom