Beginners beware (high light dangers)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wouldn't it be cool to have a universal light that we could set are own par or it displayed it for us lol

On setting 2? I'd go harder. Don't be shy! Get those reds glowing ;) I'm going up to 100 par in a few weeks. Currently at 80. Ludwigi is starting to turn red in the top 1/3 of the tank. I want it to be completely red so I'll be pushing my lighting untill achieve my goal. I need to be careful tho as I don't want my japonica to go red lol I'd be happy with brownish red tho

Wouldn't it be cool to have a universal light that we could set are own par or it displayed it for us lol

Yes then we would know what we were getting ourselves in to. The A series are very powerful lights and I bought 2 originally because I didn't think they would be enough costing only £40.

Spread is the one thing that lets LED lights down so having two spread over the tank at a lower PAR is working very well. My R.Macrandra has grown taller and turned redder using this approach. It's early days yet though.

Yes then we would know what we were getting ourselves in to. The A series are very powerful lights and I bought 2 originally because I didn't think they would be enough costing only £40.

Spread is the one thing that lets LED lights down so having two spread over the tank at a lower PAR is working very well. My R.Macrandra has grown taller and turned redder using this approach. It's early days yet though.
My bet is in a perfect world if you could find 50ish you would be happy.

On setting 2? I'd go harder. Don't be shy! Get those reds glowing ;) I'm going up to 100 par in a few weeks. Currently at 80. Ludwigi is starting to turn red in the top 1/3 of the tank. I want it to be completely red so I'll be pushing my lighting untill achieve my goal. I need to be careful tho as I don't want my japonica to go red lol I'd be happy with brownish red tho

Yep that low. I'm probably in the 40-50 PAR range with a good even spread. I'm seeing better results at the moment. Will leave it a few weeks though.

Ive read that a few times. It very telling. And im a believer.

The only 'problem' with my LED is it's a little cold. I'd need more red light to see more red if you know what I mean.

Yes I do. I wonder if it adds value to older finnex fixtures

Yes I do. I wonder if it adds value to older finnex fixtures

I would imagine so. I don't comment on those brands. Because they are not readily available unless you pay through the nose here in the UK I don't bother to learn the differences.

Dang...I meant to save it. You probably saw it. I read a UK article on green lights and photosynthesis. Was really interesting.

Dang...I meant to save it. You probably saw it. I read a UK article on green lights and photosynthesis. Was really interesting.

No I didn't see it. What was the gist? I've been wondering how biofilms affect light penetration/wavelength absorption lately. I wonder if there is anything in that? They do seem to be a nice rainbow colour.

We debate the value of blues and reds. Never alot mentioned about greens. It was a research article stating how important green light is too green plant matter. And how the green light affects the chloroplats.

I finally finalized my 30 gallon planted a week ago. This tank is high-ish tech (not super high tech by any means), but is totally achievable without all of the fancy gadgets. The same tank style can be achieved without pressurized CO2, canister filtration, and moderately priced LEDs. All plants are hardy, slow growers (Dwarf Sag has the most rapid growth in this tank) that don't need weekly trimming. The only drawback is that it will take the tank a longer time to fully mature and grow in, but I enjoy the fact that I watch the tank more than I have my hands in it.

prAF6SM.jpg

There are some more expensive plants in here (mostly due to the fact that this is the only tank I am running), but someone who has a smaller budget could do something similar. Common Crypts and Anubias almost always look nice in tanks of this style.

For those who are busy with life in general, as I generally find myself in at many points during the year, low lighting is the way to go.

We debate the value of blues and reds. Never alot mentioned about greens. It was a research article stating how important green light is too green plant matter. And how the green light affects the chloroplats.

Always wondered if the spectrum bandwidth on LEDs can be a little tight and T5HOs are more 'natural' (mostly when I'm trying to justify bulb cost).

Always wondered if the spectrum bandwidth on LEDs can be a little tight and T5HOs are more 'natural' (mostly when I'm trying to justify bulb cost).

I 100% agree with you. I think t5 tubes give a more natural feel than LED's. The plant colours are a lot better under fluros. That's why t5 fixtures are still very common with high end aquascapers. LED's tend to wash out colour but the adjustment is so handy for the beginner [emoji106]

I finally finalized my 30 gallon planted a week ago. This tank is high-ish tech (not super high tech by any means), but is totally achievable without all of the fancy gadgets. The same tank style can be achieved without pressurized CO2, canister filtration, and moderately priced LEDs. All plants are hardy, slow growers (Dwarf Sag has the most rapid growth in this tank) that don't need weekly trimming. The only drawback is that it will take the tank a longer time to fully mature and grow in, but I enjoy the fact that I watch the tank more than I have my hands in it.

prAF6SM.jpg

There are some more expensive plants in here (mostly due to the fact that this is the only tank I am running), but someone who has a smaller budget could do something similar. Common Crypts and Anubias almost always look nice in tanks of this style.

For those who are busy with life in general, as I generally find myself in at many points during the year, low lighting is the way to go.

Great example of a low tech tank, easy to maintain, minimal lighting with healthy plants.
Perfect for a busy life style or those who prefer to not get the sleeves wet [emoji106]

This is my 55g low tech, I have a single t8 for lighting and dose 0 ferts and 0 co2. Growth is slow but all the plants stay healthy. This proves that u really can have very little lighting and still grow certain species of low tech plants.

http://pho.to/AkvB2

Back
Top Bottom