Beginners beware (high light dangers)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hoopy is a member on the planted tank that taught me alot. Guy does serious expierements on lighting and co2. Just incredible stuff to read.

Just a thought for those that don't have every gadget (or companies kindly providing PAR). I've been happy with a Seneye Reef par meter or only heard good things on the apogee MQ200 par meter.

The Seneye does need to be connected to a laptop or needs a cable bought to get it to connect to a desktop.

Admittedly I'd only get it for deeper tanks or if you or a group has a lot of tanks.

Last edited:
Hoopy is a member on the planted tank that taught me alot. Guy does serious expierements on lighting and co2. Just incredible stuff to read.

I'm sure you are referring to Hoppy :) We knew who you were talking about.
I use that site for specific reference points; Google often brings me there. Quite a bit over my head, though.
Ah, the power of a Ray2. ☀️

Yes sorry. Having to post on s6 I edit every post and still make mistakes im really not dumb lol

Awesome info, thanks a heap.

I know alot of folks in gigh light situations (my self including) have issues with GSA.

Any recommendations for combating it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome info, thanks a heap.

I know alot of folks in gigh light situations (my self including) have issues with GSA.

Any recommendations for combating it?

I tripled my phosphate dosage and that got rid of it. I'd try just doubling to start with ;)

Make sure you get it all off the glass tho as it won't get rid of it but it will stop it after it's been taken off.

Yeah phosphates are usually the cause, not all the times. Imbalance of light, nutrients, and bacteria from I've learned. Good thing is, as the tank matures it usually goes away

Any advice for getting GSA off plants?
Bleach dip?

Toothbrush would be your best bet but when then u might end up scrubbing through the leaves. Give it a try tho. At a very last resort you can bleach it but I wouldn't suggest it as it's pretty hard on the plants

Would H.Peroxide work on the GSA?
either spot treatment via syringe (in tank) or as a dip (in bucket)

A $5 timer from Wal-Mart and a split photo period would be a permanent solution. Easiest method? Wait for the plant to grow new leaves and cut off the old, algae covered ones. It'll grow back even stronger when the plant realizes that it's missing.

I have done the 1/20 bleach water dip multiple times to kill snails when transferring plants and it took care of all the BSA on my Anubis species. Soak for 2 min, then transfer to water/vinegar solution. Do this a few times.

A $5 timer from Wal-Mart and a split photo period would be a permanent solution. Easiest method? Wait for the plant to grow new leaves and cut off the old, algae covered ones. It'll grow back even stronger when the plant realizes that it's missing.
Ya i actually running a split photo period just to try and maximize Co2 uptake.

Its frustrating cuz its not SUPER high light either.
*24" planted+ 24/7 running its program and an old 18" T8 over a 20gal tall (16" deep)
But the stuff just blows up in the top 1/2 of the water column with the Anubias (Nana and Hastifolia) and Bronze Wendtii getting covered.
Interestingly though the Vals and Flipper Lotus grow even higher and arent effected at all

Bumping this up as I'm seeing a lot of new faces with similar questions again [emoji106]

Necessary bump. Those PAR values you linked for my Chihiros have completely altered my approach[emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom