Quick check of my DIY CO2 plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

Was just wondering if some1 can have a quick look at my idea. It's pretty much like the usual method, just the way of introducing the co2 isnt with an airstone but with a powerhead with the venturi attachment.

Firstly, I'll make a 2L Coke bottle as the generator, connect that to a powerhead with a "venturi" thing (like the Hagen 20 powerhead), then connect the output of the powerhead to the gravel vac with the sponge at the end of it, and that would be it.

I pretty much want to keep the unit as small as possible, so I'm thinking of using Lees Small Gravel Cleaner (Lee's, 1.63" diameter x 9"H tube with 56" length hose) and a Hagen Aquaclear 20. For the sponge, I suppose filter floss is perhaps a bit too fine and not coarse enough? I was thinking of using the Eheim 2213 Knitted Filter Pad (I don't know what size it actually is, but I'm hoping it will do - the LFS doesn't stock the one I saw on the instruction page). Also, I plan to drill the hole and seal it with a silicon based sealant. The sealant can be just water-resistent doesn't it, rather than the one's design to be continually submerged in water?

Thanks

You'll want a solid piece of sponge at the end instead of floss material. You could stuff open celled foam from an upholstery place if youre looking to save money.

With drilling the hole you're talking about the bottle cap? Regular silicone doesn't take well to plastic on plastic bonds ime, but superglue works great.

Thanks for the reply.

Isn't the Eheim knitted pads different to floss material? The reason why I chose it was because on the site I saw, the person recommended the filter media for Eheim cannisters as it is coarse enough, but I don't know how solid it is.

Yep, drilling the hole, I'm referring to the bottle cap. I'll go and buy some superglue then. Thanks.

Btw, also, is filter floss a problem because it is too fine, and the water won't go through easily enough or some other reason?

I was thinking of also wrapping a net around the end of the gravel vac, to stop any of the sponge from being pushed out of the vac.

When I tried floss it saturated quickly and was hard to keep in place, and after switching to a sponge I never went back. Just much easier for me, fwiw.

Net idea is good.

Thanks for the reply

I ended up getting the Eheim 2208-2212 Filter cartridge. It seems like a coarse sponge like material, and fits pretty well at the end of the tube.

Back
Top Bottom